posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

Default What Boat?

I have a Perception Contour, touring style kayak which I bought last
October. I have used it a lot and also bought an I3 for working on my
rolling, bracing and star training with the local club. So far I have only
done day trips but I want to start doing overnighters and maybe more.

I have decided to upgrade my Contour to a 'skinnier' model early next year,
most likely a composite boat.
I know this gets asked a lot and the best thing to do is to try a lot of
boats, which is fine if you have easy access to a lot of boats close by. I
live north of Inverness.

I will look into travelling down to Aviemore and SPS, but I need a shortlist
to start with so I tried to find some boats suitable for my size and weight.
I am 5ft 7in and weigh 70 Kg.
I started with about ten boats and eventually wittled it down to just the
Aquanaut LV and the Capella 163 or 169. I binned a lot of skinnier boats and
ones where the 'recommended load range' was high, although I'm not sure how
accurate this part of the selection process was :-)

So any comments on what I have or what I should also consider ? The Avocet
perhaps ?

Muzz wrote:

I have decided to upgrade my Contour to a 'skinnier' model early next year,
most likely a composite boat.
I know this gets asked a lot and the best thing to do is to try a lot of
boats, which is fine if you have easy access to a lot of boats close by. I
live north of Inverness.

Brookbank have just opened up in Perth, don't know what they're keeping
locally but you could give them a bell. Also consider Stirling Canoes.

I started with about ten boats and eventually wittled it down to just the
Aquanaut LV and the Capella 163 or 169. I binned a lot of skinnier boats and
ones where the 'recommended load range' was high, although I'm not sure how
accurate this part of the selection process was :-)

There's nothing like actually paddling the things to find out. Even if
that means a longer trip (Knoydart, down in Keswick, for example) then
well worth doing: it'll be a steep bill for a new composite boat, and
there's no point trying to save a day and £50 where getting it wrong can
affect every stroke you paddle for the next 10 years.

So any comments on what I have or what I should also consider ? The Avocet
perhaps ?

The Avocet owners I know are all Big Fans. As long as it will take the
gear you need (and with oval hatches both ends quite possible it will as
you can maximise pack volume effectively, and overnighters don't need
/that/ much) could be just the thing. But do try one.
There's a low volume Quest now, and on paper the 56 North X-Ray looks
like a nice bit of kit. And there's always the Anasacuta, and North
Shore Polar and Calypsos (etc. etc.)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK