posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
TSS

Default Suggestions on an all round do everything kayak please?

I currently have a Pyranha/Venture/P&H Orca 16 for cruising but my kids
(recent kayak converts)are now running rings around me in their much
more manoeuvrable GP kayaks so I need something a bit more
responsive/versatile to play in with them.

In priority order it will be used for:

1. Playing in (non extreme) surf on the beach in the summer - I'd like
to be able to carve a few turns

2. Short distance flat water cruising (I'll use the Orca for anything
more than a couple of miles)

3. Very occasional white water use (again nothing too extreme)

I'm 5' 11" about 13stone/83kg an improving beginner/intermediate. I'd
like a nice stress free paddle where I don't feel like I'm going to
capsize all the time, a decent size cockpit, but I do want it to respond
nicely and be capable of keeping me satisfied as my skills progress (but
I'll never be aiming at the extreme end)! It's got to be plastic.

Looking through the brochures the Pyranha Master TG (especially with the
optional retracting skeg for cruising), Pyranha G3 or Perception Arc
look like they may fit the bill.

Any one have any experience of these boats or any suggestions as to a
better choice?

If we exclude the white water use would I be better off with a Sit on
Top for the beach (and if so which one?)?

Advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Googlebot

TSS wrote:
[...]

The problem with all rounders is they are great at nothing. I would
avoid sit on tops IMHO, they are great for beginners but you sound like
you want something a little more advanced. You will never learn proper
boat control in a boat that you cannot grip with your knees. The
wavesport diesel would be great for some surf and whitewater but a
little slow for any longer trips. Go for a carving hull, helps in the
surf, also on whitewater and a little more stable. Go to your local shop
and try loads out in the water. It may be crap to everyone else, but if
you love it, then its the right boat for you. Others may disagree, I
have drunk too much wine tonight Hic.
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Ewan Scott

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 11:14:43 +0000, TSS
wrote:

[...]

Can't say what you should buy but....

G3 - Big stable touring or creeking boat for the larger paddler - you
are not a larger paddler :-)

It has lots of stowage space if you stuff gear in the back between air
bags ( A Must Have IMHO)

Loads of volume, flat hull, distinct rails. But... it is big.

Why not look at something such as the Diesel, or an I3/ H3 or that
ilk. They still offer some volume and a bit more response than the G3?

Had bad experience with Masters so shouldn't comment.

Sit On Tops.... hmmm.

Ewan Scott