posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
TSS

Default Suggestions on an all round do everything kayak please?

I currently have a Pyranha/Venture/P&H Orca 16 for cruising but my kids
(recent kayak converts)are now running rings around me in their much
more manoeuvrable GP kayaks so I need something a bit more
responsive/versatile to play in with them.

In priority order it will be used for:

1. Playing in (non extreme) surf on the beach in the summer - I'd like
to be able to carve a few turns

2. Short distance flat water cruising (I'll use the Orca for anything
more than a couple of miles)

3. Very occasional white water use (again nothing too extreme)

I'm 5' 11" about 13stone/83kg an improving beginner/intermediate. I'd
like a nice stress free paddle where I don't feel like I'm going to
capsize all the time, a decent size cockpit, but I do want it to respond
nicely and be capable of keeping me satisfied as my skills progress (but
I'll never be aiming at the extreme end)! It's got to be plastic.

Looking through the brochures the Pyranha Master TG (especially with the
optional retracting skeg for cruising), Pyranha G3 or Perception Arc
look like they may fit the bill.

Any one have any experience of these boats or any suggestions as to a
better choice?

If we exclude the white water use would I be better off with a Sit on
Top for the beach (and if so which one?)?

Advice gratefully received.

Many thanks