posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Norbert

Default Cycle canoe trailer legal?

I've seen picture of cycle-drawn kayak trailers on the web, and even of
kayaks perched on motorbike side cars, but I am wondering does anyone know
about legality and availability of such trailers in the UK?

I sometimes fancy paddling a stretch of river far aways from home and I
don't always have a partner to car shuffle with. If I could secure a cycle
and a trailer near the egress point, that may ba a way of getting the boat
back to the car at the end of the trip.

Clearly a 50 pound royalex tandem canoe may not be great for such a setup,
but something a bit lighter my 'engine' and my bike's brakes might be able
to cope with.

Any ideas / comments / experience with this?

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Peter Clinch

Norbert wrote:
I've seen picture of cycle-drawn kayak trailers on the web, and even of
kayaks perched on motorbike side cars, but I am wondering does anyone know
about legality and availability of such trailers in the UK?

There's plenty of good freight trailers available. A good source for
this sort of thing is VeloVision magazine (http://www.velovision.co.uk/)
and it's associated discussion board.

For the legalities, I guess you'll just need to check the relevant
sections of Highway Code and Road Traffic Act, but I don't see any
particular reason why it wouldn't be.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Alan Adams

In message
Peter Clinch wrote:

Norbert wrote:
I've seen picture of cycle-drawn kayak trailers on the web, and even of
kayaks perched on motorbike side cars, but I am wondering does anyone know
about legality and availability of such trailers in the UK?

There's plenty of good freight trailers available. A good source for
this sort of thing is VeloVision magazine (http://www.velovision.co.uk/)
and it's associated discussion board.

For the legalities, I guess you'll just need to check the relevant
sections of Highway Code and Road Traffic Act, but I don't see any
particular reason why it wouldn't be.

There is a maximum permitted length of trailers and I believe of sidecars
for motorcycles. Don't know about cycles though.

Alan

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire

http://www.nckc.org.uk/
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Eiron

Norbert wrote:
I've seen picture of cycle-drawn kayak trailers on the web, and even of
kayaks perched on motorbike side cars, but I am wondering does anyone know
about legality and availability of such trailers in the UK?

I sometimes fancy paddling a stretch of river far aways from home and I
don't always have a partner to car shuffle with. If I could secure a cycle
and a trailer near the egress point, that may ba a way of getting the boat
back to the car at the end of the trip.

Clearly a 50 pound royalex tandem canoe may not be great for such a setup,
but something a bit lighter my 'engine' and my bike's brakes might be able
to cope with.

Any ideas / comments / experience with this?

Drop the boat off upstream, drive downstream, take a bike out of the car
and pedal to the boat, paddle back to the car, drive to the bike.
No trailer required and a bike is easier to fit in the car than
is a bike and trailer.

--
Eiron

I have no spirit to play with you; your dearth of judgment renders you
tedious - Ben Jonson.
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Keith

Eiron wrote:

Norbert wrote:
[...]

I tend not to bother with shuttling anymore - either hitch back to the
car or get a taxi - saves a lot of time at the beginning of the day for
me.