MatSav

Default Anyone out there???????

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 23:43:42 +0100, JH
wrote:

Does anything ever happen in this group, or are you all down with Davy
Jones?

Discussion has migrated to url:http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk
SatNav

wrote:

Does anything ever happen in this group, or are you all down with Davy
Jones?

Discussion has migrated to url:http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk

The above fake little dialogue is designed to divert gullible usenet users
to a commercial page.

If you click on above link you will be bombarded with seven (!) adverts on
one page:

Shoreham Sea Kayaks

Bournemouth Canoes

Gene17 kayaking

White Water Consultancy

Aswatersports

Desperate Measures

And of course . UKRGB (T-Shirt available now!)

- Call me old fashioned, I like to decide for myself when it is time to
exchange opinions, share experiences etc. FOR FREE

and when it is time to study the ads and part with my cash.

Keith Meredith

wrote:

Does anything ever happen in this group, or are you all down with Davy
Jones?

Discussion has migrated to url:http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk

The above fake little dialogue is designed to divert gullible usenet users
to a commercial page.

How silly - it's not a commercial page at all - it's first and foremost a
users' forum set up when UKRBP got rather unwieldy

Keith

Kegs

wrote:

Does anything ever happen in this group, or are you all down with Davy
Jones?

Discussion has migrated to url:http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk

The above fake little dialogue is designed to divert gullible usenet users
to a commercial page.

Bing! Wrong, UKRGB is a free site, with free discussion boards, and
free access to the river guides, which are contributed by the readership.

Ads and selling stuff like t-shirts are about the only ways to pay for
the, non-negligable, overheads of running a popular site like that, without
directly charging the end-users.

--
James jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

"... sometimes I even sing." "I know, we got a petition." "For or against?"
"Based on the sound, they think we're torturing you in here."
G'Kar and Mr. Garibaldi B5
SatNav

Default Anyone out there? - only 15th posting this month

wrote:

Does anything ever happen in this group, or are you all down with Davy
Jones?

Discussion has migrated to url:http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk

The above fake little dialogue is designed to divert gullible usenet
users
to a commercial page.

Bing! Wrong, UKRGB is a free site, with free discussion boards, and
free access to the river guides, which are contributed by the readership.

Ads and selling stuff like t-shirts are about the only ways to pay for
the, non-negligable, overheads of running a popular site like that,
without
directly charging the end-users.

My point precisely, UKRGB depends on advertising revenue to keep going. You
know what happens when your website depends financially on someone?

Even if they don't overtly call the shots, you make sure you don't upset
them. Freedom of speech goes out the window etc. etc.

This by contrast is a free AND independent NG. I regret if people post
here, announcing that 'discussion has migrated' to a commercially funded web
site.

The motivation is obvious - adverts fetch more the more hits your site gets.

Keith

Keith Meredith wrote:

- it's first and foremost a
users' forum set up when UKRBP got rather unwieldy

Keith

Doesn't seem to be too unwiedly at the moment, and easier to use than
web based chat rooms too!

Alan Adams

In message
JH wrote:

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 19:19:45 +0100, "SatNav" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Given the popularity (growing it seems to me) of "paddling", it seems
amazing that a newsgroup can be "killed" off by two individuals with a
point to prove.

Shame really, the moderators rule. (Again..)

J.

No, you misunderstand. The group is unmoderated, which was the cause of the
problem. When it was hijacked, there was no way to stop it, other than
leaving. The forum is moderated, hence hasn't been hijacked.

--
Alan Adams

http://www.nckc.org.uk/
Keith Meredith

Given the popularity (growing it seems to me) of "paddling", it seems
amazing that a newsgroup can be "killed" off by two individuals with a
point to prove.

Shame really, the moderators rule. (Again..)

J.

You had to be there....

Keith

Keith Meredith

My point precisely, UKRGB depends on advertising revenue to keep going.
You
know what happens when your website depends financially on someone?

Even if they don't overtly call the shots, you make sure you don't upset
them. Freedom of speech goes out the window etc. etc.

Do you have any evidence to support this claim re UKRGB? Do you have any
knowledge of the origins of the Guide Book or its founder?

Keith