Muzz

Default Nordkapp Fibre Glass

Can anyone give me any info on this boat. It's for sale in my local paper
but the seller doesn't know that much about it. A member of thier family
died and left it to them but they don't want it !
The lady told me that it was 17.5 foot long, yellow in colour, fibreglass
Nordkapp and that it's at least five years old.
The lady phoned the Kayak shop in Aviemore who advised her that it was worth
between £500 and £900, it comes with paddle and spraydeck.
I have been googling for this boat and found a fibreglass Nordkapp on an
american site for $3000+
The only one I found on UK websites is the Valley Nordkapp Jubilee at £1595.

Any of you experts shine any light on what boat she may have ? She is going
to get someone to mail me pictures of it soon !

--
Muzz
send mail to

Peter Clinch

Muzz wrote:

Any of you experts shine any light on what boat she may have ? She is going
to get someone to mail me pictures of it soon !

Valley Nordkapps have been in production for a long time, in
various stages of design refinement. In any of them they are a
seaworthy boat which is very good at fast, straight running, but
they are not the most easily manoeuvered boats and are well known
for being a bit tippy in the hands of an inexperienced paddler.

My most experienced paddling friend (who paddled one for years)
suggests they are not a good choice for inexperienced paddlers.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Hi Muzz:
Peter has the numbers right on.
I have seen two variants here in Canada. One had a key hole cockpit and
one a sea cockpit. ( The latter is tiny and fat stiff old guys like me
have trouble gettin in there. : )) .
They are a very fast streight line boat, a little tippy, they have a
built in permanent following skeg affair that I have seen cut off to
accomodate handling. You have to lean pretty well to turn this
creature.
The Nordcap ( absurd as this sounds ) is likely the best known kayak in
the world. It is a venerable old design.
I would look closely bdefore I dropped 500 to 1,000 quid on one though.
I have an Explorer that has some miles on it, a Capella that is the
same. If you asked NDK what a four year old explorer goes for they may
say 1,200 quid or so, My boat likely has 20 years of normal use in
four; and though it is maintained well it is rough and I should not
expect more that 750 Quid for it on a good day.. My Capella is 7 years
old and , well P & H would be disturbed to see what I have done to her.
P & H Capellas in plastic go for five or 600 pounds here, mine should
fetch no better than 400 pound, perhaps less.
These are experienced craft.
The fact they are selling a Nordcap would suggest to me that its owner
had similar experience, as does the boat.
In reasonable shape I would love a Nordcap as a distance running boat
in our seas; but I would not replace the NDK Explorer with it.
What I am saying with too many words is If you are experienced she is a
great boat. If you are not familiiar with Nordcap you are likely not
yet suited for it and it may indeed chase you from the sport,
especially with that sea cockpit.
Good luck
Alex.

Muzz

Cheers people, the lady was asking £500 I was able to go and see it tomorrow
but I cannot contact her tonight so I won't be going it's 100 miles away !
I have been put off a bit now anyway an old friend came by tonight, the one
I found had bought a sea kayak since I last saw him, and he also said it was
a bit tippy.

--
Muzz
send mail to

Peter Clinch

They are a very fast streight line boat, a little tippy, they have a
built in permanent following skeg affair that I have seen cut off to
accomodate handling. You have to lean pretty well to turn this
creature.

The built-in skeg is the HM, or Hull Modified, version. These days
current production have dispensed with that in favour of a more
conventional upswept rear keel and retractable skeg, But AIUI it's
still not a beginner's boat, and possibly in the lineup at least in
part because it keeps selling on fame and familiarity.

For prices of second hand boats, I bought my boat, a Valley Selkie
quite a few years old, for £350. That price included glassing in
an oval hatch at the back for me in place of the original round
one, though I had to provide the hatch so effectively £400. And
that was a good price from a pal.
Looking at the second hand market there's quite a price jump if the
boat has oval rather than round hatches. They're a damn site
easier to pack through, so it's fair enough, but Valley or Kajak
Sport oval hatches can be retro-fitted by folk that know what
they're at so unlike a plastic boat you're not stuck with what it
comes with. Similarly bulkheads can be moved and additional
fittings and equipment added.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Opinions on glass tape width Brian Boat Building 8 May 9th 05 11:48 AM
ATC vs. Glass Tube Fuses Steve Electronics 1 April 2nd 04 02:22 PM
Vent Window Glass for Sea Ray 300 Weekender? [email protected] General 5 February 3rd 04 09:22 PM
Fibre Keel Grumpy General 1 October 19th 03 03:41 PM
"Heart of Glass" history of fibreglass boatbuilding William R. Watt Boat Building 0 September 8th 03 12:33 AM