Bernie Inakayak

Yes, I suppose I could dislocate a shoulder putting a jacket on, but on
the other hand I never have, never felt close to it, whereas when I am
surfing I do feel a fair bit of force on my shoulder. I read an article
about this by one Wayne Horovitz, and I wrote to him asking what his
technique is for righting yourself in shallow water, but he hasn't
responded yet.

I will certainly have a serious go at punting next time I am in the
soup. I might try it in the baths tomorrow, if they will let me in the
baby pool!

Thanks Ewan

Peter Clinch

Bernie Inakayak wrote:

I will certainly have a serious go at punting next time I am in the
soup.

Not something I've ever made a conscious decision to do, it's just I've
found the bottom, there's this big pole in my hand... it just seemed the
obvious and natural thing to do!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Bernie Inakayak

Ah, but in my admittedly limited experience of kayaking, the obvious
and natural thing to do is invariably wrong!

Ewan Scott

"Bernie Inakayak" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ah, but in my admittedly limited experience of kayaking, the obvious
and natural thing to do is invariably wrong!

I think what Peter is saying is that when you attempt to roll, and fail, and
your paddle finds the bottom, and it is shallower than you thought, a punt
is the natural reaction. It would not be wise to rely on punting - but as an
option when all else has failed, it certainly beats the pants off exiting
the boat :-) As a corollary, it is not outwith the bounds of possibility
that you punt off a soft base, and your paddle jams and either hauls you
back in, or you right yourself and find that your paddle is waving at you
from its wedged position as you drift downstream :-)

It happened to me once, and I was fortunate that I got grounded a little
downstream and my paddle eventually caught up with me.I'm not brave enough
to do rapids without a paddle!

Ewan Scott

Peter Clinch

Ewan Scott wrote:

I think what Peter is saying is that when you attempt to roll, and fail, and
your paddle finds the bottom, and it is shallower than you thought, a punt
is the natural reaction.

Exactly! I have never set off with the specific intention of
punting off the bottom, except once when I was in about 6" of water
coming into land (it didn't work, rather pathetically!)

Pete.