David Bulpitt

Oh I know that feeling!

Have you ever seen William Nealy's book on white water paddling? I am
pretty sure it has diagrams showing a very simple style of combat roll. I
feel that a simple combat roll, starting leaning as far forward as you can
(keeping your face out of harms way)and then a short sweep/stroke of the
paddle bringing across the boat is effective. You need a serious hip
flick but the blade ends beside you (protecting your shoulder) in position
for a stroke or support and your shoulder and face are protected all the
time. The key to initiating it is dropping your steadying hand as near
below your boat as you can so that as you start to sweep the blade out
with your other hand, the "passive" blade actually goes under the hull so
that everything is kept tight.

This can actually be practised lying on your side in shallow water so you
get the feel for the blade movement.

You will I am sure get there really quickly - everyone I know with your
sort of determination does!

Cheers

David

In article .com,

*Subject:* How do you roll up in very shallow water?
*From:* "Bernie Inakayak"
*Date:* 30 Sep 2005 02:06:06 -0700

Thanks for the responses so far.

David. "Just hanging around until you have sorted yourself out does
it".

I had to laugh. I decided to ask this question yesterday evening, when
I was doing exactly this, hanging around, upside down under the boat,
furious, with my head bumping gently off the bottom. If I try to use
the paddle as a punt I find I can nearly get up, but I just can't get
the boat upright because my hands are on the paddle and too far off to
the side. I tried to use my hands, but really it was the same problem,
hands are on the bottom so I can't lie back to lower my centre of
gravity or the hands come off the bottom.

I've practiced trying to roll up when I am on dry land, I seem to be
able to manage that, but put me in 2 foot of water and I am stuffed.

Bernie