Bernie Inakayak

Yes, I suppose I could dislocate a shoulder putting a jacket on, but on
the other hand I never have, never felt close to it, whereas when I am
surfing I do feel a fair bit of force on my shoulder. I read an article
about this by one Wayne Horovitz, and I wrote to him asking what his
technique is for righting yourself in shallow water, but he hasn't
responded yet.

I will certainly have a serious go at punting next time I am in the
soup. I might try it in the baths tomorrow, if they will let me in the
baby pool!

Thanks Ewan

Peter Clinch

Bernie Inakayak wrote:

I will certainly have a serious go at punting next time I am in the
soup.

Not something I've ever made a conscious decision to do, it's just I've
found the bottom, there's this big pole in my hand... it just seemed the
obvious and natural thing to do!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Bernie Inakayak

Ah, but in my admittedly limited experience of kayaking, the obvious
and natural thing to do is invariably wrong!

Ewan Scott

"Bernie Inakayak" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ah, but in my admittedly limited experience of kayaking, the obvious
and natural thing to do is invariably wrong!

I think what Peter is saying is that when you attempt to roll, and fail, and
your paddle finds the bottom, and it is shallower than you thought, a punt
is the natural reaction. It would not be wise to rely on punting - but as an
option when all else has failed, it certainly beats the pants off exiting
the boat :-) As a corollary, it is not outwith the bounds of possibility
that you punt off a soft base, and your paddle jams and either hauls you
back in, or you right yourself and find that your paddle is waving at you
from its wedged position as you drift downstream :-)

It happened to me once, and I was fortunate that I got grounded a little
downstream and my paddle eventually caught up with me.I'm not brave enough
to do rapids without a paddle!

Ewan Scott

Peter Clinch

Ewan Scott wrote:

I think what Peter is saying is that when you attempt to roll, and fail, and
your paddle finds the bottom, and it is shallower than you thought, a punt
is the natural reaction.

Exactly! I have never set off with the specific intention of
punting off the bottom, except once when I was in about 6" of water
coming into land (it didn't work, rather pathetically!)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

David Bulpitt

Oh I know that feeling!

Have you ever seen William Nealy's book on white water paddling? I am
pretty sure it has diagrams showing a very simple style of combat roll. I
feel that a simple combat roll, starting leaning as far forward as you can
(keeping your face out of harms way)and then a short sweep/stroke of the
paddle bringing across the boat is effective. You need a serious hip
flick but the blade ends beside you (protecting your shoulder) in position
for a stroke or support and your shoulder and face are protected all the
time. The key to initiating it is dropping your steadying hand as near
below your boat as you can so that as you start to sweep the blade out
with your other hand, the "passive" blade actually goes under the hull so
that everything is kept tight.

This can actually be practised lying on your side in shallow water so you
get the feel for the blade movement.

You will I am sure get there really quickly - everyone I know with your
sort of determination does!

Cheers

David

In article .com,

*Subject:* How do you roll up in very shallow water?
*From:* "Bernie Inakayak"
*Date:* 30 Sep 2005 02:06:06 -0700

Thanks for the responses so far.

David. "Just hanging around until you have sorted yourself out does
it".

I had to laugh. I decided to ask this question yesterday evening, when
I was doing exactly this, hanging around, upside down under the boat,
furious, with my head bumping gently off the bottom. If I try to use
the paddle as a punt I find I can nearly get up, but I just can't get
the boat upright because my hands are on the paddle and too far off to
the side. I tried to use my hands, but really it was the same problem,
hands are on the bottom so I can't lie back to lower my centre of
gravity or the hands come off the bottom.

I've practiced trying to roll up when I am on dry land, I seem to be
able to manage that, but put me in 2 foot of water and I am stuffed.

Bernie

Bernie Inakayak

Thanks for the encouragement David. I was surfing yesterday in my
biggest waves yet, 4-5 feet, and I didn't actually manage to capsize
accidentally in the shallows so I could have a practice, and for some
reason I didn't fancy volunteering!

I've just ordered the Nealy book, seemed like a good read.

Cheers,

Bernie

Steve Bury

How do you roll up in very shallow water?

get some waterproof rizzlas!

sorry!
--
Kind regards

Steve Bury

"Bernie Inakayak" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I have been learning to surf. I find if I get turned over in fairly
shallow water I can't roll back upright. I can roll if the water is
deeper.

Any suggestions anybody?

Bernie