Peter Clinch

Bernie Inakayak wrote:

It does surprise me that people
who aren't really comfortable swimming are happy and competent
kayakers

In a great many paddling situations there's no great likelihood of going
over (also the case with sailing), so being in the boat removes the need
to be swimming!

Strange But True factoid at a tangent:historically, many fishermen never
learned to swim as the culture said something like that if God decided
to claim them then he would do it through the sea, and that God should
not be fought. If you don't fall in, there's nothing to be afraid of,
of course...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Here in Newfoundland most ( almost all ) fishermen have no clue how to
swim. The water temperature is much to cold to do the likes of that for
fun.
Most don't wear BA's but rather oil skins and rubber boots. Again a
cultural thing.

Bernie Inakayak

In a great many paddling situations there's no great likelihood of going
over

I seem to be able to manage it regardless of the conditions Peter. In
fact somebody at my kayak club commented that I am far too fond of
swimming! Maybe there is some truth in that: I am a beginner at
kayaking, but I don't mind throwing myself into it as I am not much
concerned about the consequences of a capsize.

Bernie

Peter Clinch

Bernie Inakayak wrote:

I seem to be able to manage it regardless of the conditions Peter. In
fact somebody at my kayak club commented that I am far too fond of
swimming! Maybe there is some truth in that: I am a beginner at
kayaking, but I don't mind throwing myself into it as I am not much
concerned about the consequences of a capsize.

Depends on exactly what you're doing and where as to whether it's going
to be a problem. Sailing past the last safe takeout before a grade 6
Daft Thing because you're underwater and thus not in control is a rather
different matter to going over playing polo in a pool, for example...

Though if you routinely go over in /any/ conditions on a routine basis
it suggests you may be in a boat that's not very well suited to your
experience/requirements.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Bernie Inakayak

Depends on exactly what you're doing and where as to whether it's going
to be a problem. Sailing past the last safe takeout before a grade 6
Daft Thing because you're underwater and thus not in control is a rather
different matter to going over playing polo in a pool, for example...

Though if you routinely go over in /any/ conditions on a routine basis
it suggests you may be in a boat that's not very well suited to your
experience/requirements.

Pete.

As I say Peter, I'm a beginner at kayaking but an experienced swimmer.
I am pretty cautious about what I get into in a boat. It will be some
time before I place myself upstream of any grade 6 Daft Thing.

My boat is a Dancer, and it seems to suit me quite well. I was
exaggerating a bit about how often I fall in.

And yesterday evening I did my very first successful roll, in the sea
when a wave knocked me over. Woooooo Hooooo!

Bernie