Tunde

Default Marsport - bargain or p!ss take?

Marsport advertise a Lendal Powermaster paddle online 'with EG1 carbon
shaft' for only £ 75.00. Funny that, all other web sites state that the EG1
is a fairly basic, heavy glass fibre shaft.

David Kemper

"Tunde" wrote in message
Marsport advertise a Lendal Powermaster paddle online 'with EG1 carbon
shaft' for only £ 75.00. Funny that, all other web sites state that the
EG1 is a fairly basic, heavy glass fibre shaft.

Hmm. "Interesting".
What do Lendal and Marsports have to say about it? You did ask Marsports to
explain before ranting here didn't you? I'm sure Paul Ralf would be able to
explain it in simple terms to you. Perhaps Marsports have made an error. I'm
sure ranting about it here isn't going to harm Marsports much. What caused
you to get so upset that you felt you had to tell us about it?

David Kemper
Not a fan of ranting loonies

Allan Bennett

In article , Tunde
wrote:
Marsport advertise a Lendal Powermaster paddle online 'with EG1 carbon
shaft' for only £ 75.00. Funny that, all other web sites state that the
EG1 is a fairly basic, heavy glass fibre shaft.

Probably just an error - no surprise there!

But the others are just as wrong:

The EG1 shaft is fibreglass, but is neither heavy nor basic. Because of it's
more forgiving flexibility, it is likely to be offered to beginners and
younger paddlers - not because it is 'basic', but because it is more
suitable.

The G1 carbon shaft (aka semi-carbon) was originally made to replace the
aluminium shafts that were around at the time and proving somewhat unreliable
in racing. Better for most paddlers than the full-carbon and other mixes
because it retains some flexibility.

From what I have written above, you might be able to ascertain that I
believe paddles should be chosen on suitability - not price...

Allan Bennett
Not a fan of alphabet soup

Peter Clinch

Allan Bennett wrote:

But the others are just as wrong:

The EG1 shaft is fibreglass, but is neither heavy nor basic. Because of it's
more forgiving flexibility, it is likely to be offered to beginners and
younger paddlers - not because it is 'basic', but because it is more
suitable.

All the Tayside Sea Kayak Club touring paddle shafts are EG1, and I've
done a lot of miles with them. Many experienced paddlers in the club
have never seen fit to use anything else. If one wants a slightly more
forgiving and lighter shaft then Lendal recommend their GF1 shaft to
tourers, which I use now and is a nice example of throwing money at
something to useful effect.

I use a G2F shaft in the surf and my occasional forays into the river.
It's quite a bit stiffer, but I'm not using it for a very long time and
I'll be bailing out from coldness or knackerdness or scarediness much
sooner than it takes my wrists to start hurting!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK