Peter Clinch

Allan Bennett wrote:

But the others are just as wrong:

The EG1 shaft is fibreglass, but is neither heavy nor basic. Because of it's
more forgiving flexibility, it is likely to be offered to beginners and
younger paddlers - not because it is 'basic', but because it is more
suitable.

All the Tayside Sea Kayak Club touring paddle shafts are EG1, and I've
done a lot of miles with them. Many experienced paddlers in the club
have never seen fit to use anything else. If one wants a slightly more
forgiving and lighter shaft then Lendal recommend their GF1 shaft to
tourers, which I use now and is a nice example of throwing money at
something to useful effect.

I use a G2F shaft in the surf and my occasional forays into the river.
It's quite a bit stiffer, but I'm not using it for a very long time and
I'll be bailing out from coldness or knackerdness or scarediness much
sooner than it takes my wrists to start hurting!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK