Jon

Default 'Kayak' identification...

Hello group

I'm a newcomer to paddling, and I'm looking for some information on an old
kayak/canoe I've been given. Could someone help me to identify it? I
can't find anything similar to mine on the web, and frankly I'm baffled by
the huge variety out there!

The boat is plastic and approx 4m long, coming to a point at both ends. It
has no branding/stickers/manufacturer info anywhere on it. It is covered
front and back, with a 'sit-in' cockpit and moulded seat. I would call this
a canoe, but I may be wrong ...!
What may help those 'in the know' is the shape of the cockpit. At the front
it forms a 'V' shape, instead of being rounded.
This cockpit has a solid, moulded rim, standing proud of the deck, but is
obviously NOT designed for using a spraydeck or similar (There's nothing to
hook the elastic under).

What is this?! All help very gratefully received; please ask if I can
provide any more detail....
Thanks
Jon
--
Do you have any idea how dumb average actually is.......?

Michael Daly

On 20-May-2005, "Jon" wrote:

The boat is plastic and approx 4m long, coming to a point at both ends. It
has no branding/stickers/manufacturer info anywhere on it. It is covered
front and back, with a 'sit-in' cockpit and moulded seat. I would call this
a canoe, but I may be wrong ...!
What may help those 'in the know' is the shape of the cockpit. At the front
it forms a 'V' shape, instead of being rounded.

It sounds like one of several recreational kayaks. A photo would help - could
you post one on a web site?

Mike
Jon

Hi Michael, Melissa,
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the slight delay in replying - my net
access is (at present) limited!
Melissa's link is closer than anything I've found - I realise a picture is
obviously necessary. I have no camera, but I'll arrange a picture and post
back when I have it.
Once again, thanks for your help.

Jon
PS - you may be amused to hear that while getting used to my new toy
yesterday, I abruptly capsized (and sank) when attacked from behind by a
large, angry swan...!

"Jon" wrote in message

I'm a newcomer to paddling, and I'm looking for some information on an old
kayak/canoe I've been given. Could someone help me to identify it? I
can't find anything similar to mine on the web, and frankly I'm baffled by
the huge variety out there!

Sounds like a Poly Pippin to me. Is it a light yellow colour?
I can't find a picture of one anywhere on the web I'm afraid so I can't
show you what I think it is. I am pretty sure they don't make them
anymore though.

I look forward to seeing a picture of it.

Moo