Ewan Scott

Default Was newbie

I keep a watch on this ng and join in whever I can to the few posts that
arrive here. If nothing else the Newbie post has given rise to a decent
discussion. Let's see if we can build the group ion a more positive manner?

Or is that being simplistic?

I meet some contributors here from uk.rec.scouting and they will know how
heated things get there, but at least discussions take place and have a
life.

Ewan Scott

David Kemper

"Ewan Scott" wrote in message
I keep a watch on this ng and join in whever I can to the few posts

that
arrive here. If nothing else the Newbie post has given rise to a

decent
discussion. Let's see if we can build the group ion a more positive

manner?

Or is that being simplistic?

I meet some contributors here from uk.rec.scouting and they will know

how
heated things get there, but at least discussions take place and have

life.

I'm happy to discuss paddling with anyone here. Allan Bennett and I
upset a lot of the regulars because we would post our opinions about
many paddling related subjects but especially about the problems we have
with the BCU. The regulars got annoyed and tried to discourage us from
posting. This had the opposite effect and spiralled away escalating the
argument. In the end many of the clique left to set up the guidebook
which has been quite successful. Good luck to them and well done. I hold
no grudge against them. I find it amusing though when you read gripes on
the guidebook about it not working as easily as a newsgroup, and then
every time a thread starts here attempts are made to lure the
participants away to the guidebook. It seems sometimes like they want to
have their cake and eat it too. I don't find my interests are catered
for on the guidebook so I remain here. Actually I think I may be barred
from posting to the guidebook. I post here now and then just so the
lurkers know I haven't gone away. I will also discuss sensibly with
anyone who reciprocates. The not a fan line is just a bit of fun.

I for my part will try to be positive about paddling and will try to
help keep this place insult free.
Unless some so & so provokes me....... grin

I've been involved with Scouting myself and with the Sea Cadets. I also
dip into the Scouting newsgroup sometimes. It can get interesting there.
I haven't posted there for ages though.

David Kemper
Not a fan of so & sos

elyob

"David Kemper" wrote in message

"Ewan Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Not really knowing the history of this group it's difficult to give a real
insight, however a fresh perspective may be useful too. I prefer newsgroups
knowing that the information is being archived and becoming searchable on
Google news etc ... Forums have their place, however when there is a
newsgroup here begging, it should be used more.

I'm glad my newbie thread was a positive one, and I certainly have learnt a
lot from *all* contributors. Am wondering whether the sleekness of a kayak
would cause less drag than a twig.

Ewan Scott

I'm glad my newbie thread was a positive one, and I certainly have learnt
lot from *all* contributors. Am wondering whether the sleekness of a kayak
would cause less drag than a twig.

Thinking about it whilst stuck in traffic today as motorcyclists came past
between the cars...

The stick sits on the surface of the water, the kayak has a greater draught.
Where the water flows slower under the surface the larger kayak may slow
down the floating object with the greater draught - OTOH, it could speed it
up to the current flow...

I don't know.

Ewan Scott