Robert

Default DW marathon - newbie question

Hi

I am a born again canoeist who still clocks up a fair annual touring
mileage. I am new to the UK and I am considering entering the
Devizes-Westminster marathon, the 4 stage 'Endeavour' event.

I am just doing the sums in terms of what speed can I sustain for 6 to 8
hours a day, and that made me realise I have no idea as to how fast the
River Thames flows on an average Easter weekend.

Clearly, on Day 4 all participants can benefit from the Thames' tidal
current if the start time is right.

I am wondering, on Day 3, i.e. the Marlow to Teddington stretch of the
non-tidal Thames, is it pretty 'canal like' or what sort of current, if any,
can one expect?

Obviously, there is one way to find out, i.e. paddle it, but if anyone can
search their memory banks or has any facts and figures that would be great.

TIA

Robert

Allan Bennett

In article , Robert
wrote:
Hi

I am a born again canoeist who still clocks up a fair annual touring
mileage. I am new to the UK and I am considering entering the
Devizes-Westminster marathon, the 4 stage 'Endeavour' event.

I am just doing the sums in terms of what speed can I sustain for 6 to 8
hours a day, and that made me realise I have no idea as to how fast the
River Thames flows on an average Easter weekend.

Clearly, on Day 4 all participants can benefit from the Thames' tidal
current if the start time is right.

I am wondering, on Day 3, i.e. the Marlow to Teddington stretch of the
non-tidal Thames, is it pretty 'canal like' or what sort of current, if
any, can one expect?

Obviously, there is one way to find out, i.e. paddle it, but if anyone can
search their memory banks or has any facts and figures that would be great.

I have the recorded flows for every Easter since 1948 (ie every DW event).
They won't help much in determining what the current will be like next Easter
as the variation is from 7.09 cumecs to 291 cumecs...

Generally, there is some flow on the Thames - to give you some idea of the
difference between the canal and the Thames, the 2nd day from Newbury to
Marlow, in a good year with moderate flow, is about 20-30 minutes quicker
than the first day despite being a couple of miles longer (there is flow on
parts of the canal / river Kennet down to Reading as well as on the Thames).
You can expect to complete the third day to Teddington a further 20 minutes
or so faster again.

The final bit down the Tideway always starts on top of the tide, providing up
to 8mph assistance (depending on tide height and prevailing weather).

The Thames is not quite 'canal-like' being wider and well-used by holiday
boaters, but is quicker not just because of the current but because there are
a few less portages...

HTH.

Whereabouts are you in the UK?

Allan Bennett