Robert

Default DW marathon - newbie question

Hi

I am a born again canoeist who still clocks up a fair annual touring
mileage. I am new to the UK and I am considering entering the
Devizes-Westminster marathon, the 4 stage 'Endeavour' event.

I am just doing the sums in terms of what speed can I sustain for 6 to 8
hours a day, and that made me realise I have no idea as to how fast the
River Thames flows on an average Easter weekend.

Clearly, on Day 4 all participants can benefit from the Thames' tidal
current if the start time is right.

I am wondering, on Day 3, i.e. the Marlow to Teddington stretch of the
non-tidal Thames, is it pretty 'canal like' or what sort of current, if any,
can one expect?

Obviously, there is one way to find out, i.e. paddle it, but if anyone can
search their memory banks or has any facts and figures that would be great.

TIA

Robert