Charlie

Default open canadian choice

I'm looking to by an open. I'd like something that I can solo or
double, touring and rivers up to easy III. Basically, I want it all.
The OT Discovery Scout seems to be a reasonable fit, any comments or
alternative suggestions?
Jasmine Waters

Hi Charlie,

Sounds like you're after what everyone's after - a morphic boat that
will do everything well!! As you've guessed it's not gonna happen, it's
always a compromise. However, I would have recommended against a Scout
for the sort of paddling you're after. I've paddled them & know people
who've bought them for pretty much what you suggest & though initially
were thrilled with them, soon came to realise they're really not
suitable solo boats. Yes they'll do moving water paddled tandem to the
grade you want & the high freeboard will keep you dry but I can't say
much more in their favour. They are also amazingly heavy on & off the
water both tandem & solo.

Have you tried other boats. That's the best advice anyone's gonna give
- go out & paddle as many different canoes as you can - both tandem &
solo if that's what you want it for. Usually local clubs are happy to
let someone try boats, othewise some retailers will be able to accomodate.

As far as alternatives, there are MANY on the market (if you want some
suggestions, post more info on what you plan to do & I'm sure further
suggestions will be made). You need to decide how much you're looking
to spend? If you're likely to do more tandem or more solo? Will you be
carrying much kit? How big are you & your tandem partner?

The weight of the boat itself is a major issue (& may dictate what
material to go for) - especially if you have to get it on/off the car on
your own or your trips will necessitate portages?

Check out these makes - Mad River Canoes, Pyranha, We-No-Nah as well as
Old Town.

Hope that's of some help.
Jasmine

Charlie wrote:

I'm looking to by an open. I'd like something that I can solo or
double, touring and rivers up to easy III. Basically, I want it all.
The OT Discovery Scout seems to be a reasonable fit, any comments or
alternative suggestions?

riverman

"Charlie" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking to by an open. I'd like something that I can solo or
double, touring and rivers up to easy III. Basically, I want it all.
The OT Discovery Scout seems to be a reasonable fit, any comments or
alternative suggestions?

Mad River Explorer, 16 footer. Best overall boat in the world, IMHO.

--riverman

Jasmine Waters

OK - not a bad choice I reckon!! ;-)

Best solo trad boat (IMHO of course) .....Mad River Intrigue (14'10") !!!!!!

(expect there'll be lots of people disagreeing with us both here......)

riverman wrote:

"Charlie" wrote in message
. com...

I'm looking to by an open. I'd like something that I can solo or
double, touring and rivers up to easy III. Basically, I want it all.
The OT Discovery Scout seems to be a reasonable fit, any comments or
alternative suggestions?

Mad River Explorer, 16 footer. Best overall boat in the world, IMHO.

--riverman

peter

riverman wrote:
"Charlie" wrote in message
om...

I'm looking to by an open. I'd like something that I can solo or
double, touring and rivers up to easy III. Basically, I want it all.
The OT Discovery Scout seems to be a reasonable fit, any comments or
alternative suggestions?

Mad River Explorer, 16 footer. Best overall boat in the world, IMHO.

--riverman

I have an Explorer 15, great all-rounder, great solo, big enough for 2,
(but not with camping gear or kids), faultless handling, very light,
easy to get on and off the car on your own. Don't go for wood gunwales
like I did, I'm always terrified of damaging them.

Martin Edwards

I've just finished a stitch & tape 16 foot prospector based (loosely) on
selway fischer plans Very straight forward build and even using an extra
layer of resin & Glass it still came in under £200. Hoping to get the
chance to get it on water in the next week or so. Will let you know........

Alex McGruer

"Martin Edwards" wrote in message ...
I've just finished a stitch & tape 16 foot prospector based (loosely) on
selway fischer plans Very straight forward build and even using an extra
layer of resin & Glass it still came in under £200. Hoping to get the
chance to get it on water in the next week or so. Will let you know........

Excellent, I have never heard of one done with stitch and glue before.
Mine was a stripper and I took considreable license from the given
plans. It worked out well though.
Martin Edwards

it floats! 16 ft stitch & tape prospector tracks really well, and while it
did let in a little water, I was able to spot where & so next time out it'll
be fine. If you want to be the centre of attention, take out a home made
boat! I was virtually mugged by kayakers, pedestrians & even some police
officers who all wanted a wee look. 18 hours work & a total cost of about
£160 + the plans so £200 all told. You can't go wrong at that!