Jel Coward

Default waterproof digital cameras

Hi all

Apols for cross posting to rec.boats.paddle
We have a baby due to arrive and so there is much pressure for us to
purchase a digital camera.

Well, ok, but only if I can take it paddling!

Has anyone had any experience with waterproof digitals that they might
share please?

Cheers
--
Jel Coward

The UK Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician and Command Physician course is
9th-15th November 2003 at Glenmore Lodge, Aviemore, Scotland

http://www.wildmedic.org
http://www.wemsi.org

'There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad clothing"
Anon Norwegian
Nick

Just spent a good few weeks researching digital point-n-shoot cameras
before buying my first one last week. I already have a 35mm SLR for
doing anything creative, so I wanted something small enough to take
anywhere, including my b/aid pocket, and decent enough to take good
images.

I didn't come across any waterproofed versions, but many now have
optional waterproof hard cases rated up to 40m (130ft), although these
are expensive (£100-£150). Here's a few of the cameras that I looked
at:

Sony DSC-p10 (my new camera)
Canon Ixus 400
Olympus Mju 300 & 400

Aquapac http://www.aquapac.co.uk/ do waterproof camera bags that are
rated to about 5-10m, which should be ok when keeping a camera in a
b/aid pocket. I'll probably try one of these before splashing out on
a hardcase. And definitely buy your camera online (or abroad) as
you'll easily save yourself 20-30% on the RRP.

If you want any more info, or the huge pile of weblinks I seem to have
built up (retailers, manufacturers, review sites), then just let know.

Cheers,
Nick

Jel Coward wrote in message ...
Hi all

Apols for cross posting to rec.boats.paddle
We have a baby due to arrive and so there is much pressure for us to
purchase a digital camera.

Well, ok, but only if I can take it paddling!

Has anyone had any experience with waterproof digitals that they might
share please?

Cheers
--
Jel Coward

The UK Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician and Command Physician course is
9th-15th November 2003 at Glenmore Lodge, Aviemore, Scotland

http://www.wildmedic.org
http://www.wemsi.org

'There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad clothing"
Anon Norwegian

Rich Orford

"Jel Coward" wrote in message
Hi all

Apols for cross posting to rec.boats.paddle
We have a baby due to arrive and so there is much pressure for us to
purchase a digital camera.

Well, ok, but only if I can take it paddling!

Has anyone had any experience with waterproof digitals that they might
share please?

Are you after info on digital stills cameras or video cameras?

M.C.D. Roos

You might also consider the new single use waterproof 35mm cameras.
Although they don't have adjustable focal lengths at about $15 they are very
cost effective for even someone approaching semi-pro - given the risks of
losing an expensive piece of equipment in rugged conditions. The various
water proof sacks do work ok in most semi-rugged environments. Heck, a
couple of clear zip lock bags would also work fine. Quality on a single
use camera is probably comparable to a $500 digital.

Some time ago I went kayakking on the North Sea and I duct-taped such
a single use camera to my paddle with the following results:

http://www.stud.tue.nl/~okawa/albums/duct.html

The results are not too bad, only point was that there was some sort
of delay between pressing the lever and the making of the actual photo I
only discovered later. And of course watching incoming waves while
making a photo, this didn't always go together well .

The camera costed me about $20, don't remember exactly how much
developing the photos cost. Then there's also the scanning of the photos
for the webpage... For regular use a digital camera would probably be
easier and cheaper; I've certainly seen a few nice sets go for a good
price at eBay.

greetings,
Michiel

arache

"Nick" wrote in message
om...
I didn't come across any waterproofed versions, but many now have
optional waterproof hard cases rated up to 40m (130ft), although these
are expensive (£100-£150). Here's a few of the cameras that I looked
at:

Sony DSC-p10 (my new camera)
Canon Ixus 400
Olympus Mju 300 & 400

I think Sony produces waterproof boxes for most of their more expensive
digital cameras.

Aquapac http://www.aquapac.co.uk/ do waterproof camera bags that are
rated to about 5-10m, which should be ok when keeping a camera in a
b/aid pocket. I'll probably try one of these before splashing out on
a hardcase. And definitely buy your camera online (or abroad) as
you'll easily save yourself 20-30% on the RRP.

I've had an aquapac leak on me and during very mundane usage. I'd warn folk
away from them.

If you want any more info, or the huge pile of weblinks I seem to have
built up (retailers, manufacturers, review sites), then just let know.

I'd like to know what it was about the SONY that won out.
cheers,

Jel Coward

In article , Rich Orford
writes

Are you after info on digital stills cameras or video cameras?

Stills

The Sony cybershot U60 si said to be waterproof

I am not sure how easy it would be to operate a digital camera through
the waterproof bags such as aquapak

The dedicated waterproof cases look good, but a bit pricey and I wonder
about longevity with opening and closing etc

Cheers
--
Jel Coward

The UK Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician and Command Physician course is
9th-15th November 2003 at Glenmore Lodge, Aviemore, Scotland

http://www.wildmedic.org
http://www.wemsi.org

'There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad clothing"
Anon Norwegian
Nick

I've been using waterproof disposables for a few years now, and I've
got to agree that they are a good cheap compromise. But for all sorts
of reasons (lens quality, film, lack of zoom), they won't give you
good quality images that you can enlarge or put on the wall, which is
what I'd like to do (some day....).

I went for digital because for the last few years I've spent a lot of
money on buying such disposables (approx £15 a time, including
developing) and also additional film for my compact 35mm, which I take
biking/snowboarding, etc. And increasingly, all I do with the results
is scan them to share them with friends! Plus the beauty of digital
is that you can take loads of photos and then just save the best ones,
and only print out the really outstanding ones - no more wastage.

Finally, I went for the Sony over the Canon & Olympus because of the
extra exposure controls it had. None of these cameras are fully
manual, but few (if any?) cameras of this ultra-compact size are and
you don't need fully manual unless you're being creative or working in
very difficult conditions. The Sony p10 has 7pre-programmed exposure
modes for taking Sports, Twilight, Landscape, etc etc which gives me
enough control and also has an ok video mode for a digital still
camera (which was important to me as I've just sold my Hi8 camcorder
to finance it!!).
The Canon Ixus 400 was a very close second - supposedly very good
image quality and uses the cheapest memory (CF), but it has no
"Sports" mode and the video is not quite as good. The big
disadvantage of the Sony is that uses the most expensive type of
memory (

A few examples:
waterproof disposable in bright sunlight:
http://nickburton.fotopic.net/photo.php?o=1&id=385122

waterproof disposable in shadow
http://nickburton.fotopic.net/photo.php?o=1&id=385479

Sony digital at dusk:
http://gallery15608.fotopic.net/show...n.php?id=38876

Sony videos
http://www.nickburton.pwp.blueyonder...vie%20page.htm

Sorry I've rambled on, I guess all those weeks of research have stuck
in my brain! ;o)
Nick
arache

"Nick" wrote in message
om...
Sorry I've rambled on, I guess all those weeks of research have stuck
in my brain! ;o)

Well I found it illuminating, thanks.
cheers,

Jel Coward

Thanks for all the advice.

Time pressure led to rapid decision - bought a canon A60 with a plan to
get a waterproof case if I have the urge to take it on the water

Cheers
--
Jel Coward

The UK Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician and Command Physician course is
9th-15th November 2003 at Glenmore Lodge, Aviemore, Scotland

http://www.wildmedic.org
http://www.wemsi.org

'There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad clothing"
Anon Norwegian
news

Some of the following links may be usefull to anyone interested in
waterproof digital phototography.

http://www.dpreview.com

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...n/-/USD/SY_Dis
playProductInformation-Start;sid=DE9JfUm1Wz1Jfnb_MElDdga64eYBbYkjs44=?Pro duc
tID=qdMKC0%2eNMrIAAAD3e5h8fCjs&Dept=dcc&CatalogCat egoryID=
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0305/03...ydscu30u60.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/03...ilmwpfx700.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/03...ilmhousing.asp

digital chart questions Aaron Cruising 0 May 19th 04 06:08 AM
[Q] Waterproof Digital Cameras Eric General 31 May 7th 04 05:08 PM
Canon's waterproof cases PaddlingPair Touring 2 January 2nd 04 11:49 AM
Canon WP-DC800 waterproof case for PowerShot 400 camera D. Bennett General 12 November 7th 03 07:14 AM
waterproof digital cameras Jel Coward General 7 September 4th 03 03:33 AM