posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Default Eurostyle vs. Greenland?

I probably have the terms wrong.

My recent dilemma over what boat to use on my upcoming sea kayak tour
highlighted the difference between what I suspect is the two major
camps in sea kayaking. Eurostyle vs. Greenland.

I was trying to decide b/w my Seda Glider (copy in woodstrip) and a
friend's Valley Pintail. Guess which fits into which camp? : )

I'm calling a low-rocker, fast, long, high-volume boat without a lot
of curves to it the "Eurostyle."

I'm labeling a boat with lots of rocker, low-volume, low decks and a
lot of curves as "Greenland."

Maybe there are better terms.

Is there agreement that Greenland works better in bigger seas?

I think they say Greenland works better with the waves---and can end
up faster as a result in big conditions.

While Eurostyle proponents say "Safety in speed" and consider their
boats to be tons faster in general, letting paddlers get out of range
of bad weather in short order. And get to destinations readily,
without fatigue.

I guess it all depends!

Well, I never did dig that far into the dilemma this time around. I
started with the Pintail and locked onto it. When I get back I'll
check out the Glider in detail and see if I can get as comfy in it.

--JP