Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Default Endurance training

Drew Cutter wrote:
Brain ,

I love the tuktu paddles. Question do you carry more than one style of
Greenland paddle . One for bad weather (storm) and another for more calm
condition when you are on open water (like the great lakes ) ? I kind
feel like I'm buying a bamboo fly rod as i look over the tuktu paddles.

I do carry two paddles, but my "storm" paddle serves primarily as a
conveniently-sized spare that fits nicely on my foredeck. The "storm"
moniker is actually a North American term. In Greenland, it would be
referred to as a "short" paddle for use with a sliding stroke. They
are/were used for all paddling in certain areas of the country. There
are also medium-sized paddles that are used with a partial sliding
stroke. You can see John Petersen using this this paddle & technique in
the video "Amphibious Man". He's so smooth that you barely even notice
that he's sliding the paddle one hand width on every stroke.