posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Brian Nystrom Brian Nystrom is offline

Default Endurance training

Drew Cutter wrote:
Since you seem to be the expert on Greenland paddles. I've found only
two source for paddles . One wood and the other fiberglass.

There are several companies selling GPs, but they're mostly small.
Cricket, Don Beale, Tuktu and Superior are some that come to mind. It
seems that most people just make their own.

Superior's paddle is carbon fiber. I've tried one and I was impressed
with it's performance. However, I can make more 15-20 paddles for the
cost of one of theirs. ;-)

Any
suggestions on where to take lessons . I live in Ohio.

I'm on the east coast and not familiar with what's available in your
area. I agree with John that attending a symposium or two is probably
your best bet. Unfortunately, all the major ones are over for this year.
I would suggest posting your question about instruction on the Qajaq USA
forum (www.qajaqusa.org). There are avid Greenland-style paddlers from
all over the country there. Someone is bound to have some useful info
for you. You may even be able to find other GP enthusiasts in your area.

Couldn't find the book on amazon. .

It's a self-published book that's not available on the major bookseller
sites, at least not yet. It's available directly from me or through
Chesapeake Light Craft (clcboats.com), The Woodenboat Store
(www.woodenboatstore.com) or Newfound Woodworks (www.newfound.com). I've
emailed you information about it.

I've seen suggestion on make the paddle more
visible to other boaters , ships . Any suggestion on how to make what to
make the paddles stand out ?

The easiest way is to make the tips bright. I prefer to use white-tinted
epoxy for that, as it also serves to harden and protect the tips. The
difference in visibility is night and day. As John indicated, if you
paddle at night, reflectivity is very important. One of the
retro-reflective tapes commonly used on trucks and such work well for
paddles. You can also gain some daytime visibility by using prismatic
tape, similar to that used on fishing lures. Both of these types of
reflective material are available at auto parts stores and through
sources on the web.

BTW, you can find pics of GPs and lots of other kayak-related info in my
Webshots albums at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/brian_nystrom-reg

John Fereira wrote:
Brian Nystrom wrote in news:%FwPg.584$x11.38
@trndny02:

Drew Cutter wrote:
Has their been any studies on how much more energy you use on
different water conditions ?
Not that I know of. All I can tell you from experience is that your
effort level can go up exponentially in rough water, particularly if
you're uncomfortable or you have to do a rescue in it (self or
assisted).

I suppose it also depends on which way the wind is blowing.
I want to take some Greenland paddle skills classes.
Good idea!

Congrats on the publishing of your "Greenland Paddles - Step by Step"
book. Could you send me info on ordering a copy?