posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.boats.paddle

Default Fitting sail mast to plastic kayak

I have a plastic sea kayak, about 16 feet long with rudder.

A friend and I are experimenting with homemade sails. The ones that can
go upwind tend to require a central mast. I'm trying to decide on a
final method of attaching this to a kayak. Advice from anyone who has
done this would be appreciated.

There are several ways that I've considered.

1. There are some methods that have used a fitting with straps that fit
around a kayak or across the deck bungee clips, avoiding drilling holes
altogether. Sometimes called universal deck mount, this is something I
haven't found sold separately, and I'm not sure my own versions of it
will be strong enough for a central mast.

2. Using a fishing rod holder, mounted forward of the cockpit within
reach. Base mounts with four screws through the deck. Spirit sails uses
this method on their double poled downwind sails.

http://www.spiritsails.com/home.shtml

I wonder if a plastic deck would require reinforcement with some
rubber, wood, or sheet metal underneath to hold these. It would need to
be closer than a thru hull fitting because I would need to operate.

3. Mounting through a hole in the deck and attaching to the hull on the
inside. This is what most sail makers would reccommend, but I'd want to
do it right. One idea I had was to fit a 1" conduit pvc pipe through
the deck. This would be much like I've seen he

http://members.iinet.net.au/~lford1/fitstorm.htm

Instead of a plywood crossbar, I would probably use a block of stiff
foam or wood glued to the hull at the bottom. This would be just beyond
my feet and behind the bulkhead. Ideally, this would be on the flat
area for the compass mount, since it would be easier to make a straight
cut there. This is where I can just reach to remove the mast when
needed. I'd want to seal everything so it doesn't create leaks.

Thanks for any insight from anyone with experience.

Nathan
near Portland, OR

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.boats.paddle
solo_konoe

http://www.paddling.net/message/show...hat&tid=448771

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.boats.paddle
Mike

and http://members.tassie.net.au/~lford/fitstorm.htm

"solo_konoe" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.paddling.net/message/show...hat&tid=448771

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.boats.paddle

Thanks for the responses.

I've cut a hole in the kayak. Mostly following the fitstorm model. I've
cut a hole centered on the compass mount area for a 1.5 inch PVC pipe
sleeve.

Instead of connecting to a shelf as in this model, it continues to the
bottom and is embedded in a square block of minicell foam glued to the
bottom with barge glue. The bottom end is capped and glued inside the
foam.

I still need to find the Elastomeric Marine Sealant to seal around the
pipe sticking up, and trim it cose to the deck of the kayak.

I'll try to publish pictures and steps once I've gotten through the
rest of the process.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Definitely want to try upwind. For downwind, there were plenty of
homemade options that didn't require drilling holes for masts. I don't
know yet how successful I willl be sailing upwind, with no sailing
experience, but I will have a pretty versatile rig.

So a leeboard is a good idea. Maybe something like this:

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~ltu006/images...s/leeboard.htm

Or using a spare paddle like this:

http://www.sailboatstogo.com/img/cat...stabilizer.jpg

Or some modifications to the rudder to make it fatter and a little bit
like a centerboard.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
jimbok

On 28 Feb 2006 09:59:34 -0800, wrote:

So a leeboard is a good idea. Maybe something like this:

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~ltu006/images...s/leeboard.htm

That's what is referred to as a daggerboard. It will work fine as
long as its vertical position remains reasonably rigid when pushed
down into the water and under sail.

Or using a spare paddle like this:

http://www.sailboatstogo.com/img/cat...stabilizer.jpg

Spare paddle will work too, although the rig shown is pretty
elaborate. A simple clamping arrangement that will allow you to pivot
(lower) the board into the water and have it remain fixed in that
position is all that is required. I would prefer a pivoting board,
with a teardrop shape. so that if any underwater obstruction is
struck, the board will swing up without damage to either the board or
the boat. You can also raise the board when sailing downwind since it
is not necessary then.
Whatever choice you make, the board should be long enough to remain in
the water when the boat is heeled in the wind.

Or some modifications to the rudder to make it fatter and a little bit
like a centerboard.

Not really a great idea. It would place the turning moment of the
boat too far aft and make it a bear to keep on course. In a moderately
strong breeze it would cause the boat to try to pivot around its own
rudder. If you use a leeboard (or daggerboard), it should be as close
as possible to the center of the boat so as not to introduce
additional turning force. If you make a simple clamping affair with a
pivoting board you should be able to move it fore and aft to help you
find the optimum location on your boat.
--
jimbok
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Yes, this helps quite a bit. A simple rig where I can adjust the
placement sounds best. Then I can adjust it forward or place it on
either side. The deck rigging just forward of the cockpit sounds like
the place to start. The mast is between that and the forward hatch.

Of course, I still need to finish the sail and try it out. I'm hoping
to not need outriggers.