posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.boats.paddle

Default Fitting sail mast to plastic kayak

I have a plastic sea kayak, about 16 feet long with rudder.

A friend and I are experimenting with homemade sails. The ones that can
go upwind tend to require a central mast. I'm trying to decide on a
final method of attaching this to a kayak. Advice from anyone who has
done this would be appreciated.

There are several ways that I've considered.

1. There are some methods that have used a fitting with straps that fit
around a kayak or across the deck bungee clips, avoiding drilling holes
altogether. Sometimes called universal deck mount, this is something I
haven't found sold separately, and I'm not sure my own versions of it
will be strong enough for a central mast.

2. Using a fishing rod holder, mounted forward of the cockpit within
reach. Base mounts with four screws through the deck. Spirit sails uses
this method on their double poled downwind sails.

http://www.spiritsails.com/home.shtml

I wonder if a plastic deck would require reinforcement with some
rubber, wood, or sheet metal underneath to hold these. It would need to
be closer than a thru hull fitting because I would need to operate.

3. Mounting through a hole in the deck and attaching to the hull on the
inside. This is what most sail makers would reccommend, but I'd want to
do it right. One idea I had was to fit a 1" conduit pvc pipe through
the deck. This would be much like I've seen he

http://members.iinet.net.au/~lford1/fitstorm.htm

Instead of a plywood crossbar, I would probably use a block of stiff
foam or wood glued to the hull at the bottom. This would be just beyond
my feet and behind the bulkhead. Ideally, this would be on the flat
area for the compass mount, since it would be easier to make a straight
cut there. This is where I can just reach to remove the mast when
needed. I'd want to seal everything so it doesn't create leaks.

Thanks for any insight from anyone with experience.

Nathan
near Portland, OR