posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
jimbok

Default Fitting sail mast to plastic kayak

On 28 Feb 2006 14:14:45 -0800, wrote:

Of course, I still need to finish the sail and try it out. I'm hoping
to not need outriggers.

As long as you don't let the boat get overpowered you can probably do
some reasonable sailing without outriggers. If you want to sail in
stronger winds then they will probably be required since your boat
will have no ballast, except you. In either case just make sure the
mainsheet has a quick release - such as a cam-cleat - so that you can
release the mainsheet quickly to spill wind from the sail. Otherwise,
you might find gusty winds more exciting than you bargained for.
Good luck and good sailing.
--
jimbok