pjbphd

Default Help with Vehicle Shuttle Around Lake Powell

I'm setting up a self-contained trip for myself and about a dozen friends to
canoe and kayak Lake Powell. We're hoping to go from Hall's Crossing to
Wahweap or Antelope Point. Unfortunately, I'm having a tough time setting
up the vehicle/people/boat shuttle.

The drive from Page to Hall's Crossing is about five hours. I was hoping to
drop all the boats and gear at Hall's Crossing, then shuttle vehicles to
Page and find a way back to Hall's with the two or three drivers. That way
we wouldn't need to drive back up to Hall's Crossing at the end of the trip.

Here's where the trouble starts. Because Aramak is the only Park Service
concessionaire on the lake, they have the market cornered. I called the
Wahweap Marina and asked about renting a boat to take all the people and
canoes/kayaks up to Hall's and drop us off. They could do it, but it's
about $70/hour for the boat starting when it leaves the dock and ending when
the boat returns. When I use their figures for rental and time, it adds up
to about $1700 for a one-way shuttle!

I thought about a one way car rental, and although there are several rental
companies in Page, I don't think there are any in Hall's so there would be
no drop-off location.

I'm considering renting a taxi for the trip from Page to Hall's, but I don't
even know if that's possible and have no idea of the cost. I'm even
considering chartering a plane to fly from Page to Hall's. Both have
airports, but I haven't yet found an air charter service.

Our trip isn't until October so I have some time, but does anyone have a
good suggestion? BTW I contacted one of the only kayak rental places in
Page and they were helpful but couldn't really offer me any good
alternatives.

Thanks

pjbphd

--
Too many spams have forced me to alter my email. If you wish to email me
directly please send messages to pjbphd @ cox dot net

John Fereira

"pjbphd" wrote in

[...]

There's an article in the most recent Sea Kayaker magazine about paddline
Lake Powell. They mentioned that they used a commercial boat shuttle
service but didn't say anything about exhorbiant prices. There may be more
information at the end of the article that can help.

pjbphd

"John Fereira" wrote in message
.. .
There's an article in the most recent Sea Kayaker magazine about paddline
Lake Powell. They mentioned that they used a commercial boat shuttle
service but didn't say anything about exhorbiant prices. There may be
more
information at the end of the article that can help.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, what the author did was hire a guide
with his own boat. The group I'll be going with is pretty experienced and
familiar with the area so we don't need or really want a guide. The info
box at the end of the article also mentioned shuttles from Antelope Point
Marina at $62/hour. Because we'll need two shuttles to carry all the gear
and people and they charge from the time they leave the dock to the time
they return, that's what adds up to about $1700. Maybe a little less from
Antelope than Wahweap, but still around $1500.

Thanks anyway.

pjb

Steph

"pjbphd" wrote in
news6mxe.36732$go.29215@fed1read05:

[...]

Consider "hiring" a good friend, to come along and shuttle you.
They might need to rent a boat as well, or maybe a large vehicle and
then sit around waiting for the trip to complete.

Hmmm.... that person's time, plus any costs for a boat or auto and
suddenly the $1500 cost is not so high to pay someone else.

Mr Long.. read this one rhys Cruising 2 January 2nd 05 09:18 PM
Puts Lake Superior to shame Capt. Neal® ASA 5 December 16th 04 05:25 PM
Bad News for Lake Erie: From the Toledo Blade RGrew176 General 4 September 27th 03 03:10 PM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM
The 4th and boating.Lake Oroville. basskisser General 9 July 14th 03 06:24 PM