pjbphd

Default Help with Vehicle Shuttle Around Lake Powell

I'm setting up a self-contained trip for myself and about a dozen friends to
canoe and kayak Lake Powell. We're hoping to go from Hall's Crossing to
Wahweap or Antelope Point. Unfortunately, I'm having a tough time setting
up the vehicle/people/boat shuttle.

The drive from Page to Hall's Crossing is about five hours. I was hoping to
drop all the boats and gear at Hall's Crossing, then shuttle vehicles to
Page and find a way back to Hall's with the two or three drivers. That way
we wouldn't need to drive back up to Hall's Crossing at the end of the trip.

Here's where the trouble starts. Because Aramak is the only Park Service
concessionaire on the lake, they have the market cornered. I called the
Wahweap Marina and asked about renting a boat to take all the people and
canoes/kayaks up to Hall's and drop us off. They could do it, but it's
about $70/hour for the boat starting when it leaves the dock and ending when
the boat returns. When I use their figures for rental and time, it adds up
to about $1700 for a one-way shuttle!

I thought about a one way car rental, and although there are several rental
companies in Page, I don't think there are any in Hall's so there would be
no drop-off location.

I'm considering renting a taxi for the trip from Page to Hall's, but I don't
even know if that's possible and have no idea of the cost. I'm even
considering chartering a plane to fly from Page to Hall's. Both have
airports, but I haven't yet found an air charter service.

Our trip isn't until October so I have some time, but does anyone have a
good suggestion? BTW I contacted one of the only kayak rental places in
Page and they were helpful but couldn't really offer me any good
alternatives.

Thanks

pjbphd

--
Too many spams have forced me to alter my email. If you wish to email me
directly please send messages to pjbphd @ cox dot net