John Fereira

"pjbphd" wrote in
news:mzJwe.12668$go.2451@fed1read05:

I'm setting up a self-contained trip for myself and about a dozen
friends to canoe and kayak Lake Powell. We're hoping to go from Hall's
Crossing to Wahweap or Antelope Point. Unfortunately, I'm having a
tough time setting up the vehicle/people/boat shuttle.

The drive from Page to Hall's Crossing is about five hours. I was
hoping to drop all the boats and gear at Hall's Crossing, then shuttle
vehicles to Page and find a way back to Hall's with the two or three
drivers. That way we wouldn't need to drive back up to Hall's Crossing
at the end of the trip.

Here's where the trouble starts. Because Aramak is the only Park
Service concessionaire on the lake, they have the market cornered. I
called the Wahweap Marina and asked about renting a boat to take all
the people and canoes/kayaks up to Hall's and drop us off. They could
do it, but it's about $70/hour for the boat starting when it leaves the
dock and ending when the boat returns. When I use their figures for
rental and time, it adds up to about $1700 for a one-way shuttle!

There's an article in the most recent Sea Kayaker magazine about paddline
Lake Powell. They mentioned that they used a commercial boat shuttle
service but didn't say anything about exhorbiant prices. There may be more
information at the end of the article that can help.