Michael Daly

On 22-Jun-2005, "Fiona Stirling" wrote:

great site. some details i would like to talk to the author about but
it seems quite accurate.

He's designed quite a number of canoes and kayaks, including racing
designs.

kayaks do plane,
well partially anyway. have you ever surfed? how about 10 knots next to
a much shorter white water boat. i will grant you when i surf it is
normally not that far and fast but i did 18 km in my capella and kept
it up for a good distance.

I've talked to John about surfing and planing in kayaks. He is adamant
that typical kayaks do not plane under any conditions that a person can
reasonably produce. He also points out that the so-called "planing hull"
whitewater kayaks are not planing hulls.

There is a difference between planing and surfing. You can go very fast
and surf, but that's not the same as planing. The WW boats with flat
bottoms are surfing hulls, not planing hulls. However, the terminology
is in common use and no one will accept the correct term. It is possible
to get a surfing hull to plane, but that's not what's going on _most_ of
the time (a bicycle can get airborne some of the time, but that doesn't
make it an airplane).

If you designed a kayak to plane and could find a paddler that was
sufficiently strong to make it happen, then that would be another story.
No one has ever _measured_ a kayak planing.

Mike

PS - where in Canada do you live?

BC. near victoria; but i travel to nova scotia and paddle in
newfoundland every chance i can. crossing the island is an increadible
drive over so so roads but newfoundland two years ago was the height of
my paddling career so far. i will be back there this summer. work takes
me to windsor and lunenburg nova scotia. i hope to paddle with scott
cunningham out of algieres, check out the bras d' or lakes ( sorry
about the spelling ) and then head to cape bretton and the island of
newfoundland. i have a friend that promises whales and has never failed
yet. he says there are no ice bergs this year. pity..
i can borrow a boat from a friend there.

I am apparently operating under a different definition of planing ;
while surfing the water line and displacement of the boat changes
fairly drastically on my boat and is out the window on the little surf
boat. when is skimming on the surface not planing in the case of the
flat bottomed thing and my capellas lifting noticeably. granted my boat
never got to skim with air under it but as a bicycle flies of a ramp it
flies for a second. can't do it at will but the odd time it is in the
air.
i am going to ask about that planing thing, i may be using bad
terminology.
Fiona

Fiberglass vs plastic bb General 74 March 15th 11 08:53 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 January 28th 05 06:46 AM
Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
Evinrude FICHT beats out Yamaha in JD Powers survey Billgran General 60 November 4th 03 03:02 PM