Joanne

Default Using a Blaster Horn Question

What is the correct way to signal distress with a horn?

I want to paddle in the Louisiana swamps at the end of April and there is a
chance of getting lost. The critters might eat my bread-crumb trail
markers.

So, do I signal SOS on the horn? How long do I wait between blasts? How
many blasts can I get out of one horn. I'm supposing there is the "canned
air" type and maybe a rechargeable type or similar battery operated type.

Is there a different signal for paddling in the Hood Canal?

--
Sincerely,
Joanne

If it's right for you, then it's right, . . . . . for you!!!

Play - http://www.jobird.com
Pay for Play - http://www.jobird.com/refund.htm
Looking for Love? - http://www.jobird.com/hearts.htm
Garden Kinder CDs
http://www.jobird.com/cd/gardenkinderhome.html

Richard Ferguson

The standard answer is that three of anything is an distress signal. It
could be three gunshots, three blasts of a horn, you name it. This
applies on land or sea. You can signal SOS in morse code with three
shorts, three longs, and three shorts. I would suggest two seconds for
shorts, six seconds for longs, with at least two seconds between toots,
maybe 10 seconds between the shorts and the longs. I have not tested
this to see how well the sound carries over long distances.

I have never been a fan of the compressed air horns, figure that I will
grab it after years of not needing it, and all the air will have leaked
out. I guess I believe in Murphy's law.

The Blaster Horn that we are talking about is mouth powered, and plenty
loud.

If you are worried about getting lost in the swamp, a GPS is probably
the easiest solution, just mark the starting point, and when you want to
go back, tell the GPS to point you which way to go. It is almost that
easy, but practice by walking around your neighborhood. Obviously, you
may not be able to go in the shortest line, but it will tell you the
direction and distance in real time, and keep you from heading away from
your car.

If you have a shoreline for the swamp, then a compass will get you home.
Compasses do not need batteries, while GPSs tend to be battery hungry.

Richard

Joanne wrote:

What is the correct way to signal distress with a horn?

I want to paddle in the Louisiana swamps at the end of April and there is a
chance of getting lost. The critters might eat my bread-crumb trail
markers.

So, do I signal SOS on the horn? How long do I wait between blasts? How
many blasts can I get out of one horn. I'm supposing there is the "canned
air" type and maybe a rechargeable type or similar battery operated type.

Is there a different signal for paddling in the Hood Canal?

Joanne

"Richard Ferguson" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you, Richard. This is great information. I wasn't planning to invest
in a GPS just yet. So I'll use a compass and definitely get a manual horn.
I love that idea; it makes much more sense than anything expendable.

--
Sincerely,
Joanne

If it's right for you, then it's right, . . . . . for you!!!

Play - http://www.jobird.com
Pay for Play - http://www.jobird.com/refund.htm
Looking for Love? - http://www.jobird.com/hearts.htm
Garden Kinder CDs
http://www.jobird.com/cd/gardenkinderhome.html

Michael Daly

On 7-Feb-2005, Richard Ferguson wrote:

I would suggest two seconds for
shorts, six seconds for longs, with at least two seconds between toots,
maybe 10 seconds between the shorts and the longs.

At that length, folks might not think it's a signal. One SOS over a
minute long (62 seconds to be precise)!

I'd suggest a lot shorter. Less than a second for a short, about twice
that for a long. Short gaps between each toot and longer between
each repeat.

If there is any chance for echoes, it may all sound like a mess of confusing
sounds. For that reason, three toots is somewhat better than SOS in Morse.
Also, that means that signalling with a whistle for any reason but distress
should be discouraged.

Mike

Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
Question on replacing a horn Ree-Yees General 10 May 20th 04 04:37 AM
Awesome photos of Cape Horn (from on top) and the Beagle Channel William K. Spence, Ph.D. ASA 10 August 16th 03 01:11 AM