Dan OConnell

Default Mukluk-style boots

I plan on paddling into late fall this year (Minnesota) and have a trip to
Upper MI coming up next month. I've been considering either NRS Boundary
Shoe or Chota Mukluk Light for the inevitable wading I'll experience in the
cold weather. I'm preparing for thirty's to high forty's for possible
temps. I have an extremely low volume kayak (Necky Chatham 16) so room for
size 11 feet is a factor also. I would appreciate any ideas on cold weather
footware. Thanks............Dano

PMH

Dan OConnell wrote:

ther. I'm preparing for thirty's to high forty's for possible
temps. I have an extremely low volume kayak (Necky Chatham 16) so room for
size 11 feet is a factor also. I would appreciate any ideas on cold weather
footware. Thanks............Dano

I suggest coupla-three pairs of neoprene bootie socks; very light, low
bulk, good insulation, wear your favorite boot w/ plenty of waterproofing.

Yours in the north Maine woods,
Pete Hilton (Reg. Me. Guide)

--
Either everyone has rights or some have privileges.
It's really that simple.

Gene Cosloy

"Dan OConnell" wrote in message link.net...
I plan on paddling into late fall this year (Minnesota) and have a trip to
Upper MI coming up next month. I've been considering either NRS Boundary
Shoe or Chota Mukluk Light for the inevitable wading I'll experience in the
cold weather. I'm preparing for thirty's to high forty's for possible
temps. I have an extremely low volume kayak (Necky Chatham 16) so room for
size 11 feet is a factor also. I would appreciate any ideas on cold weather
footware. Thanks............Dano

I paddled most of last Fall and Winter with the Chota Mukluks and was
always warm and pleased with the protection. I wore size 11 in a
Lincoln Chebeauge which is probably higher volume than the Chatham 16.
The Chatham 16 is a recent addition to my fleet so whether the Mukluks
fit or no I shall soon find out. Currently I wear NRS ankle high
booties which are just fine in the Chatham 16. By the way I'm closer
to 11.5 to 12 and the Mukluk 11's fit me best. If you're a true 11 you
just might try the 10's. Good luck and the 16 is not really very low
volume. It just has a small or narrow cockpit combing. There is 13" of
depth in the front deck.

Gene
Brian Nystrom

Dan OConnell wrote:

I plan on paddling into late fall this year (Minnesota) and have a trip to
Upper MI coming up next month. I've been considering either NRS Boundary
Shoe or Chota Mukluk Light for the inevitable wading I'll experience in the
cold weather. I'm preparing for thirty's to high forty's for possible
temps. I have an extremely low volume kayak (Necky Chatham 16) so room for
size 11 feet is a factor also. I would appreciate any ideas on cold weather
footware. Thanks............Dano

Are you going to be wearing a dry suit? Does it have Gore-Tex/latex
socks on it? I found that when my dry suit had just ankle seals, I used
Chota Mukluks a lot. Now that I have latex socks on it, I've found that
regular neoprene boots are just as warm and less bulky.