Kenneth McClelland

Default What do you think about Current Design Storm

I went on a weekend trip to Sandusky area of Lake Erie with a group of kayakers last weekend and was invited to try one of the boats owned by a fellow on the trip. It was a Current Design and I'm pretty sure it was the Storm. I fell in love with this boat. I think I want one but this is the first Current Design that I have come across and was wondering what those in the group think of these boats. I am a big guy and this boat felt like a great fit, but I may have been jaded by the fact that the club boat that I had been using the rest of the day had pretty much numbed everything below the waist because it was so wrong for my backside -- I think the seat bottom pitched forward and pinched some nerves. Anyone have an opinion on this manufacturer?

John

Hi Ken, I am a Sandusky Bay paddler as well. I would like to know more
about the group you paddled with. It might be good to compare some
notes. As for the Storm...I am a bigger paddler as well and paddle a
Storm. I find it a perfect kayak for me. It is comfortable, stable and
fast. I have a rudder which I use about 50% of the time. Email back if
you'd like more info.. John

Kenneth McClelland wrote:
I went on a weekend trip to Sandusky area of Lake Erie with a group of
kayakers last weekend and was invited to try one of the boats owned by a
fellow on the trip. It was a Current Design and I'm pretty sure it was
the Storm. I fell in love with this boat. I think I want one but this is
the first Current Design that I have come across and was wondering what
those in the group think of these boats. I am a big guy and this boat
felt like a great fit, but I may have been jaded by the fact that the
club boat that I had been using the rest of the day had pretty much
numbed everything below the waist because it was so wrong for my
backside -- I think the seat bottom pitched forward and pinched some
nerves. Anyone have an opinion on this manufacturer?

Kenneth McClelland

Thanks John, the group was a club out of Pittsburgh
http://www.outsideadventures.org/index.html . Check out their page. You
don't have to be a member and they have a good selection of well cared for
boats - it was just the one I got for the weekend did not suit me well. You
can also use your own boat.

About the Storm, the Lake was way high over the weekend and we did not have
a group that wanted to try the run out to Kelly's island (That was the
plan). Instead we spent Saturday poking around the Vermilion canals and then
went upriver till we ran out of water. On Sunday we went out from the
Campground launch in East Harbor State Park. We paddled out and looked at
the lake. About 6-8ft I would guess. It was a good trip and I will do it
again next year, we might even make it to our destination ;- It was out in
East Harbor that I got in the Storm. I have rarely taken so quickly to a
boat. I was able to carve turns with and without the rudder and it responded
well to input from my knees. I was just wondering how big of waves have you
tackled comfortably with this boat? The owner took it out past the
breakwater on Vermilion with one other paddler on Saturday and he stayed in
the boat while the other guy went swimming. The guy in the water re-entered
3-4 time and got dumped before he could skirt/pump out each time (pretty big
water to me, other people may think otherwise). He gave up after he broke
his paddle on the last re-entry and refused the spare from the guy in the
Storm, opting instead for a tow into the beach.(missed the public beach and
ended up on a private one down about a half mile. Met a really nice
homeowner that gave one of them a ride back to get the van/trailer.

BTW: anyone interested in the area. The East Harbor camp ground was pretty
nice even though it was full-up and you have a nice boat launch into a
protected area right in the park. I did not get to walk through all of the
campsites but there may be some on the water. They have tent and RV some
with at least electric, I'm not sure about water.

--

Kenneth McClelland wrote:
I went on a weekend trip to Sandusky area of Lake Erie with a group of
kayakers last weekend and was invited to try one of the boats owned by a
fellow on the trip. It was a Current Design and I'm pretty sure it was
the Storm. I fell in love with this boat. I think I want one but this is
the first Current Design that I have come across and was wondering what
those in the group think of these boats. I am a big guy and this boat
felt like a great fit, but I may have been jaded by the fact that the
club boat that I had been using the rest of the day had pretty much
numbed everything below the waist because it was so wrong for my
backside -- I think the seat bottom pitched forward and pinched some
nerves. Anyone have an opinion on this manufacturer?

John

You guys are probably much more experienced than me. I've had my Storm
in three footers on the west side of Point Peelee in Ontario and done
some paddling in strong wind and waves in the Georgian Bay around
Kilarney, Ontario. The Storm served me well on those trips. What can
you tell me about the paddling in Lake Erie along the PA coast. I fish
the PA streams for Steelhead frequently and have thought of paddling
there. Has your group ever paddled the Sanguaney Fiord in Quebec. I'd
love to see the whale there sometime.

Kenneth McClelland wrote:
[...]

Kenneth McClelland

Don't bet that we are experienced. The group leaders are very competent but
the rest of the group varies. I am in my second year of kayaking and have
most of my experience on the rivers around Pittsburgh - the biggest waves I
see are from boats. The Erie trip was my attempt to gain a little experience
on some bigger water. I am trying to get my skills up so that I can make
some of those dream trips you mention. I think I am at the point where I
need my own boat so that I can get very good with one boat. I am looking to
get out on some ocean trips next year - I think the Outer Banks would make a
good trip or a dozen or 2 places from Maine on up. With very limited funds I
would be happy to get in one of these "big" trips next year. I also have
friends in Vermont and I might get some time on Lake Champlain if I play my
cards right --wife LIKES Vermont - doesn't kayak.

As for Lake Erie in PA, I think most of it takes place near Presque Isle.
This club trip is coming up and I think I may sign up for it to find out for
myself.

If I have violated some net rule here by posting this trip I'm sorry. Rest
assured that the club is a non-profit and the money is used for food,
camping fees, gas for the car to bring the boats, launch fees etc. I am not
a club member but I do sign-up for some of their trips as can anyone. They
can be contacted at the link from one of the previous notes in this thread.

FRIDAY EVENING AUGUST 20 to SUNDAY AUGUST 22, 2004
Event meets: Arrive after 6:00 PM Friday or at 10:30 AM Saturday Ends: 4:00
PM Sunday
CHAUTAUQUA & LAKE ERIE WEEKEND Level (2): Beginne rs & up
Lake Chautauqua -Southwestern NY: Saturday we'll paddle on Lake Chautauqua
and visit the lake's historic Victorian
town. Relax among the gardens and waterfront pathways, see the historic 19
th century clocktower and quaint homes with
splendid porches and, of course, savor our traditional "moose tracks" ice
cream cones. Sunday, we'll paddle along the
south shore of Lake Erie under the alluvial cliffs, artifacts of the last
Ice Age. Car camping overnights are at one of our
favorite campgrounds-a bluff with a spectacular panorama, great sunsets, and
swimming on Lake Erie. Join us
Saturday, Sunday, or for the entire weekend. A 50% deposit is required on
this trip to secure your reservation.
$ 70 Members / $ 80 Non-Members if you need a kayak $ 45 Members / $ 55
Non -Members if you bring your own boat
Call about pricing & availability for children's boats Options: $ 5
breakfast per person per morning

--

Kenneth McClelland wrote:
[...]

Peter Unold

Hi

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:07:43 GMT, Kenneth McClelland
wrote:
[...]
Anyone have an opinion on this manufacturer?

I was test paddling the CD Storm only yesterday. I'm planning for an
expedition next year for which we'll be using large volume PE-kayaks.
Normally I'm all for narrow low volume kayaks but nevertheless, the Storm
turned out as a pleasant surprise. I didn't have the same "captain of a
battleship" feeling, as I've had in other large kayaks. The Storm was easy
to turn(effective waterline length was around 4.8m) and in general easy to
control without using the rudder.
The waterproof compartments were still dry after a number of rolls and a
reentry&roll exercise. I believe the Storm is one of the few PE kayaks
with Kajaksport rubber hatches.

The rudder is nice(same as used on CD Extreme) but I'd replace the sliding
pedals with a butterfly control. The large cockpit easily allows for
paddling with the legs together.

The plastic CD use for their kayaks, somehow feels harder/tougher than
what I've seen on other PE kayaks.

Considering it's a large PE kayak, I think it's fine.

best regards
Peter - not in any way affiliated with CD

Michael Daly

On 31-Jul-2004, "Peter Unold" wrote:

I believe the Storm is one of the few PE kayaks
with Kajaksport rubber hatches.

Just so you know, there are two versions of the Storm. The new ones
have improved hatches. The older ones (which you might find used)
don't. There are a few other refinements, but I'm not sure what
they all are.
Kenneth McClelland

Thanks Guys, it looks like I may be starting out next spring in one of these
boats. The wife wants a few things done around the house before winter, so I
have agreed to hold any boat purchase off until spring. But the search for
what kind seems to be at an end.

--

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
On 31-Jul-2004, "Peter Unold" wrote:

I believe the Storm is one of the few PE kayaks
with Kajaksport rubber hatches.

Just so you know, there are two versions of the Storm. The new ones
have improved hatches. The older ones (which you might find used)
don't. There are a few other refinements, but I'm not sure what
they all are.

John Fereira

"Kenneth McClelland" wrote in

Don't bet that we are experienced. The group leaders are very competent
but the rest of the group varies. I am in my second year of kayaking
and have most of my experience on the rivers around Pittsburgh - the
biggest waves I see are from boats. The Erie trip was my attempt to
gain a little experience on some bigger water. I am trying to get my
skills up so that I can make some of those dream trips you mention. I
think I am at the point where I need my own boat so that I can get very
good with one boat. I am looking to get out on some ocean trips next
year - I think the Outer Banks would make a good trip or a dozen or 2
places from Maine on up.

The Outer Banks is a very good destination for a paddling trip as it offers
a variety of conditions. On the sound side there are lots of protected
areas. If you launch near the north end of Currituck sound out of Whalehead
there is lots of water to explore to the north and you'll see few other
boats. You could spend a week or more exploring all the areas on the sound
side or go on the ocean side and play in the surf. The hatteras area is a
very good spot for kayak surfing and has an annual tournament.

Check out Pam Malec's (she used (may still does) run the boating operations
out of Kitty Hawk Sports) book: Guide to Sea Kayaking in North Carolina.