John

Default What do you think about Current Design Storm

You guys are probably much more experienced than me. I've had my Storm
in three footers on the west side of Point Peelee in Ontario and done
some paddling in strong wind and waves in the Georgian Bay around
Kilarney, Ontario. The Storm served me well on those trips. What can
you tell me about the paddling in Lake Erie along the PA coast. I fish
the PA streams for Steelhead frequently and have thought of paddling
there. Has your group ever paddled the Sanguaney Fiord in Quebec. I'd
love to see the whale there sometime.

Kenneth McClelland wrote:
Thanks John, the group was a club out of Pittsburgh
http://www.outsideadventures.org/index.html . Check out their page. You
don't have to be a member and they have a good selection of well cared for
boats - it was just the one I got for the weekend did not suit me well. You
can also use your own boat.

About the Storm, the Lake was way high over the weekend and we did not have
a group that wanted to try the run out to Kelly's island (That was the
plan). Instead we spent Saturday poking around the Vermilion canals and then
went upriver till we ran out of water. On Sunday we went out from the
Campground launch in East Harbor State Park. We paddled out and looked at
the lake. About 6-8ft I would guess. It was a good trip and I will do it
again next year, we might even make it to our destination ;- It was out in
East Harbor that I got in the Storm. I have rarely taken so quickly to a
boat. I was able to carve turns with and without the rudder and it responded
well to input from my knees. I was just wondering how big of waves have you
tackled comfortably with this boat? The owner took it out past the
breakwater on Vermilion with one other paddler on Saturday and he stayed in
the boat while the other guy went swimming. The guy in the water re-entered
3-4 time and got dumped before he could skirt/pump out each time (pretty big
water to me, other people may think otherwise). He gave up after he broke
his paddle on the last re-entry and refused the spare from the guy in the
Storm, opting instead for a tow into the beach.(missed the public beach and
ended up on a private one down about a half mile. Met a really nice
homeowner that gave one of them a ride back to get the van/trailer.

BTW: anyone interested in the area. The East Harbor camp ground was pretty
nice even though it was full-up and you have a nice boat launch into a
protected area right in the park. I did not get to walk through all of the
campsites but there may be some on the water. They have tent and RV some
with at least electric, I'm not sure about water.