Marsh Jones

Default Washington State Paddling?

OK, my wife wants to visit friends in Seattle over Seafair weekend and I
get to drive...
Actually, I get to drive and bring a boat, too.
OK, she'll paddle with me at least once, maybe.
So:
I'm looking for a couple of fla****er routes like the Sammamish Slough
or ??? that we can do sort of a 2-3hr up, 1hr down paddle in a marathon
canoe. Or anybody interested in going for a paddle with me.

Thanks,

Marsh Jones
New Brighton, MN
Bill

If you are coming up I5 through Olympia, I wouldn't miss the Nisqually
delta.
Wildlife abounds, but pay attention to the tides for the best paddling with
the least effort.
Bill
"Marsh Jones" wrote in message
OK, my wife wants to visit friends in Seattle over Seafair weekend and I
get to drive...
Actually, I get to drive and bring a boat, too.
OK, she'll paddle with me at least once, maybe.
So:
I'm looking for a couple of fla****er routes like the Sammamish Slough
or ??? that we can do sort of a 2-3hr up, 1hr down paddle in a marathon
canoe. Or anybody interested in going for a paddle with me.

Thanks,

Marsh Jones
New Brighton, MN

John R Weiss

"Marsh Jones" wrote...

I'm looking for a couple of fla****er routes like the Sammamish Slough
or ??? that we can do sort of a 2-3hr up, 1hr down paddle in a marathon
canoe. Or anybody interested in going for a paddle with me.

Up Sammamish Slough and back from Lake Washington is nice/peaceful; put in
at the Kenmore ramp. However, it's far from the most interesting paddle.

You can also put in at Sunnyside or Ballard on south Lake Union and paddle
through the Montlake Cut and the Arboretum (and back).

From the Everett municipal ramp, around Jetty Island (just opposite the
ramp) and through the several sloughs north of the ramp makes for a good
trip. Ospreys, seals, eagles... Plan for currents. Low water is
especially interesting in the sloughs, but be careful for the opposing flood
current going back to the ramp.

Marsh Jones

John R Weiss wrote:

"Marsh Jones" wrote...

I'm looking for a couple of fla****er routes like the Sammamish Slough
or ??? that we can do sort of a 2-3hr up, 1hr down paddle in a marathon
canoe. Or anybody interested in going for a paddle with me.

Up Sammamish Slough and back from Lake Washington is nice/peaceful; put in
at the Kenmore ramp. However, it's far from the most interesting paddle.

You can also put in at Sunnyside or Ballard on south Lake Union and paddle
through the Montlake Cut and the Arboretum (and back).

From the Everett municipal ramp, around Jetty Island (just opposite the
ramp) and through the several sloughs north of the ramp makes for a good
trip. Ospreys, seals, eagles... Plan for currents. Low water is
especially interesting in the sloughs, but be careful for the opposing flood
current going back to the ramp.

What is the current like, both normally and at ebb/flood tide? I
remember the Snohomish river being slow but still moving, but I can't
say I paid much attention to the rivers back then. I know from sailing
the Sound that the tidal currents are pretty fierce in spots, but I
don't recall if you see standing waves in the sloughs.

Also, are there decent landings, or do I need to bring the gumboots for mud?
Marsh
John Weiss

"Marsh Jones" wrote...
From the Everett municipal ramp, around Jetty Island (just opposite the
ramp) and through the several sloughs north of the ramp makes for a good
trip. Ospreys, seals, eagles... Plan for currents. Low water is
especially interesting in the sloughs, but be careful for the opposing flood
current going back to the ramp.

What is the current like, both normally and at ebb/flood tide? I
remember the Snohomish river being slow but still moving, but I can't
say I paid much attention to the rivers back then. I know from sailing
the Sound that the tidal currents are pretty fierce in spots, but I
don't recall if you see standing waves in the sloughs.

Also, are there decent landings, or do I need to bring the gumboots for mud?

No standing waves around Jetty Island or in the sloughs, but the current can
exceed 2.5 knots (normally, probably 1.5 or less). The flood current will be
against you when heading back to the Everett marina from the slough. Did it
once, and had a long paddle in a 4-knot kayak (the problem with low-low tides is
that they are followed by stronger-than-normal currents)...

There are a few landings (I didn't use any of them), but wellies or booties
would be a good idea if you like to wander in the flats.