John Weiss

Default Washington State Paddling?

"Marsh Jones" wrote...
From the Everett municipal ramp, around Jetty Island (just opposite the
ramp) and through the several sloughs north of the ramp makes for a good
trip. Ospreys, seals, eagles... Plan for currents. Low water is
especially interesting in the sloughs, but be careful for the opposing flood
current going back to the ramp.

What is the current like, both normally and at ebb/flood tide? I
remember the Snohomish river being slow but still moving, but I can't
say I paid much attention to the rivers back then. I know from sailing
the Sound that the tidal currents are pretty fierce in spots, but I
don't recall if you see standing waves in the sloughs.

Also, are there decent landings, or do I need to bring the gumboots for mud?

No standing waves around Jetty Island or in the sloughs, but the current can
exceed 2.5 knots (normally, probably 1.5 or less). The flood current will be
against you when heading back to the Everett marina from the slough. Did it
once, and had a long paddle in a 4-knot kayak (the problem with low-low tides is
that they are followed by stronger-than-normal currents)...

There are a few landings (I didn't use any of them), but wellies or booties
would be a good idea if you like to wander in the flats.