Marsh Jones

Default Washington State Paddling?

John R Weiss wrote:

"Marsh Jones" wrote...

I'm looking for a couple of fla****er routes like the Sammamish Slough
or ??? that we can do sort of a 2-3hr up, 1hr down paddle in a marathon
canoe. Or anybody interested in going for a paddle with me.

Up Sammamish Slough and back from Lake Washington is nice/peaceful; put in
at the Kenmore ramp. However, it's far from the most interesting paddle.

You can also put in at Sunnyside or Ballard on south Lake Union and paddle
through the Montlake Cut and the Arboretum (and back).

From the Everett municipal ramp, around Jetty Island (just opposite the
ramp) and through the several sloughs north of the ramp makes for a good
trip. Ospreys, seals, eagles... Plan for currents. Low water is
especially interesting in the sloughs, but be careful for the opposing flood
current going back to the ramp.

What is the current like, both normally and at ebb/flood tide? I
remember the Snohomish river being slow but still moving, but I can't
say I paid much attention to the rivers back then. I know from sailing
the Sound that the tidal currents are pretty fierce in spots, but I
don't recall if you see standing waves in the sloughs.

Also, are there decent landings, or do I need to bring the gumboots for mud?
Marsh