Leanne

Default Whalewatchin VHF channel in San Juans?

wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 22:46:31 GMT, "Michael Daly"
wrote:

They might fly a [...] marine band radio for the purpose though.

And break the law in the process. Marine band is for marine only.
CB would be an option, though.

Now let's really confuse things. What if it's a sea plane?

Or some of those cheap FMS radios.

Leanne

otnmbrd

Michael Daly wrote:
On 8-Jul-2004, otnmbrd wrote:

BTW, it can be said that marine bands ARE AM/FM, though the average
boater doesn't use AM.

Which bands are AM?

Mike

When I first started sailing, most of our ship to ship traffic was
conducted using AM - 2182, etc (g forget the other "channels" ).
Once VHF came into common use, although many kept the AM radios for
awhile, AM became SSB and something that generally was only used on
larger offshore boats.
Someone with a technical background can give a better description of
this and correct any acronym errors.

otn

Rusty O

I'm not familiar with FMS radios.

Maybe you meant FRS ( Family Radio Service). The hot air balloon pilots use
FRS radios to communicate with their ground crews here in the Oregon wine
country. These hand held radios often have scan functions built in, that's
how I heard the balloon pilots.

FRS radios can be used legally in the US to talk ship to shore, wheel to
anchor person, or boat to boat. However, they are line of sight and very low
power and not a substitute for a marine VHF in an emergency.

Rusty O

Michael Daly

On 9-Jul-2004, "Rusty O" wrote:

FRS radios can be used legally in the US to talk ship to shore, wheel to
anchor person, or boat to boat. However, they are line of sight and very low
power and not a substitute for a marine VHF in an emergency.

I think Cobra makes a handheld that has both marine VHF and FRS transceivers
in it. I'm not sure about the quality of Cobra, though. I saw one while
searching the web for what's new in marine VHF units recently.

A single unit with both systems seems to me like a good option for lots of folks.

Mike
Rusty O

Michael you're right, I had forgotten about the new multi-band radios. I
haven't seen the Cobra model but I have seen the Standard Horizon HX 470.

It's a full featured marine VHF with Digital Selective Calling and stores
GPS data from your boat. It also has the fourteen FRS channels, and five
MURS channels. Plus, it has a built in strobe light and receives AM
broadcast radio, FM broadcast radio, and VHF AM aircraft frequencies. All in
a small, JIS-7 waterproof case with a lithium-ion battery.

Rusty O

Michael Daly

On 9-Jul-2004, "Rusty O" wrote:

I have seen the Standard Horizon HX 470.

I checked the Cobra site - the HX 470 was actually the one I saw and for
some reason remembered it as Cobra product.

It's a full featured marine VHF with [...].

a hefty price tag!

Mike