Brian Nystrom

Default How much skeg?

Mike Hackett wrote:

Brian Nystrom wrote in message

You're overthinking the subject. A boat that stays on the course you
want to paddle will be the most efficient. Just use as much skeg as the
situation requires and forget about the rest.

So what would you have me think about while I'm in the office with my head
still out in the river? Something to do with my job?

It is possible to stay on course with the boat pointing at least close to
the direction you are going (skeg all the way down), or stay on course with
it pointing further away from the direction you are going (less skeg).
That's the issue.

If you've got a beam wind, you're going to need to ferry into it in
order to maintain the desired course, so pointing slightly upwind is
preferable. Pointing straight or downwind will cause you to travel a
longer, parabolic course.

Mike Hackett

Mike Hackett wrote:

[...]

Of course. But again, the upwind angle to achieve a straight course is going
to vary depending on how much skeg is sticking down.

Mike

Alex Horvath

Crabbing is compensated for with navigation techniques isn't it(ie.
course setting)? It's something that you try to predict before setting
out and you make course adjustments as necessary based on changing
conditions etc. Of course if you can't maintain a straight course or a
desiered course then you've got more problems than just crabbing so
for me a kayak that tracks like a train is very important.

The bigger problem I have had is turning upwind in 25+ mph winds. I
once did a 2 mile crossing where about halfway through, ~25mph winds
came up, gusting even higher. I estimate the speed at 25+ because I
could barely make headway with maximum effort knowing that I would
have to paddle for 1 mile. The gusts were higher intensity yet. I
could see them coming by the scallop pattern on the water - then all I
could do was hold my position.

I later realized that had my kayak unintentionally turned around while
I was holding position, the probability that I would safely get it
turned back around into the wind was about zero. There was land behind
me but it was still a little unnerving. I think it shows the
importance of having a plan for changing conditions while on an open
crossing. I also try to start long crossings at daybreak or earlier
since it seems like winds usually don't come up until mid-morning.

I have the book "Fundamentals of Kayak Navigation" and it's a good
book to have. Also, if you are interested in sailing (sailboats or
other small craft) it can't hurt to take a basic navigation class as
the principles are the same for the most part.

Longer skeg R.Smyth General 4 July 18th 04 09:56 PM
Skeg Guard Coff General 9 April 5th 04 06:24 PM
Bravo III - is skeg supposed to have a bend? Slambram General 4 March 30th 04 06:35 PM
Did anyone paddle the P&H Bahiya in the surfzone already? Ren? van der Zwan General 0 February 27th 04 08:01 AM
British versus American designs. Paul Stivers Touring 11 September 18th 03 12:13 PM