Dave Van

Default Prijon Calabria

in article , Radu Tenenbaum at
wrote on 5/8/04 9:54 AM:

What's a rand?

Sorry. The rand is the part of the spray deck that wraps around and under
the coaming of the kayak. It's usually made of shock cord or an elastomeric
extrusion.

DV

Radu

"Dave Van" wrote in message
in article
, Radu Tenenbaum at
wrote on 5/7/04 6:52 PM:

It's the WildWasser Baja Deck. It's made specifically for Prijon boats.
It's the cheapest model, though, at $56. Maybe I'll get better at

getting
it on, but for now, a third hand would be handy.

Radu

This is particularly problematic in Prijon boats. The Prijon coaming
undercut is the most shallow of all the plastic boats I've seen. I have a
Kodiak and use a Wildwasser spray deck made specifially for that boat. It
was hard to keep on. I cut off the neoprene flange that Wildwasser (used
to?) sew to the rand to reduce the amount of material that has to fit

under
the coaming. Then I went to the hardware store and bought some Shoo Goo

and
applied a thin layer all around the inside of the rand. Deck stays put

now
and does not leak.

DV

"John Fereira" wrote in message
.. .
"Radu Tenenbaum" wrote in
:

I should add one more thing, this one a negative. I just got a spray
skirt and it's very difficult to get on and keep on. It keeps

slipping
off. It would be nice if the lip around the cockpit was more
pronounced so that the bungee could get a better grip.

That's fairly common with plastic boats. It's hard to get fine edge on
the
cockpit rim with a plastic layup. What kind of sprayskirt did you get?
Any
chance of returning it and finding one that fits better? BTW, if your
skirt
is neopreme try getting it wet before putting it on. If it's slipping

off
on the sides, the skirt may just not be wide enough.

John Fereira

"Radu Tenenbaum" wrote in
:

It's the WildWasser Baja Deck. It's made specifically for Prijon
boats. It's the cheapest model, though, at $56. Maybe I'll get better
at getting it on, but for now, a third hand would be handy.

Even the most experienced kayakers will need a third hand with a poorly
fitting spray skirt. A few years ago I took a forward strokes class with
Chris Duff. He was used a boat and skirt provided by the symposium and was
having a heck of a time getting the skirt on. He asked me for a hand so I
helped him by holding down the back while he got the skirt around and
adjusted. If you don't know Chris, he has probably paddled more long
distance solo expeditions than anyone in the world in the past 10 years.
His accomplishments include a circumnavigation of all of the British Isles
(including Ireland), the south island of New Zealand, and most recently,
Iceland (though that wasn't solo).