Serge

Default Light and fast kayak. Which one?

I already have a double (Echo by WS) and satisfied with it in
general.
Now I am looking for single boat for day trips in Monterey Bay.

I was looking at racing kayaks but they are too light and narrow for
ocean.
Surf ski is nice, but I don't like to get wet all the time.

Another thing is that I require a higher deck that kayaks of my size
usually have. I have narrow hips but feel uncomfortable stretching
legs and need to
keep knees relatively high. Not like on surf ski, but still high.

I would appreciate any suggestion.
My tandem is 24" and I can probably handle 20" kayak about 18-19'
long.
Almost anything I see comes with very low deck.
Eric Johnson

The Romany Explorer HV has a pretty high deck and knee bulges for big guys.

John Fereira

"Michael Daly" wrote in
. cable.rogers.com:

On 17-Jan-2004, "Michael Daly" wrote:

Look at the QCC 700. One of the faster touring kayaks. Also consider
Seda Glider. The Solstice GTS is a decently fast touring kayak.
Epic makes an 18 footer that is quick, too. I bet John Fereira can
offer some good suggestions too.

I was also going to mention that the explorer isn't particularli fast.

On further reflection, there are a few others to look into -

Current Designs Extreme and Expedition - the latter isn't a great kayak
if unloaded; it likes ballast.
Seaward Endeavour and Quest,

All good choices. A VCP Argonaut or even a Nordkapp would also work although
he *did* say he wanted something fast and *light*.

Eddyline Falcon 18, Necky Looksha II and
the venerable Arctic Hawk from Wilderness Systems.

I've never seen a Looksha II but from he pictures it doesn't appear to have
a high foredeck. The Falcon 18 is pretty low volume and a Arctic Hawk
doesn't have a lot of legroom for a big person.

Serge

Thanks, I will check it out.
I am not a big guy by any stretch (no pun) - 5'8"/150lb, it is just the
knees I can not keep to low.
Eric Johnson

I've actually got an Endeavor and LOVE it. I don 't find the deck
particularly high, although I can keep my knees with a good bend in them.

John R Weiss

"Michael Daly" wrote...
The Explorer isn't a particularly fast kayak.

Look at the QCC 700. One of the faster touring kayaks. Also consider
Seda Glider. The Solstice GTS is a decently fast touring kayak.
Epic makes an 18 footer that is quick, too.

Out of curiosity, what speed do you consider "fast" in this context?

Just for reference, I have a home-built Pygmy Coho (17'6" x 23"; probably just
under 17' LWL). Using a GPS on a lake with 0 current and negligible wind, I
came up with the following:

'No effort' easy paddle: 3 knots

Sustainable effort: 4 - 4.25 knots

Max attainable (hull speed): 5 knots

Eric Johnson

I've paddled one and thought it was very nice. I guy I paddle with in RI has
one, and loves it. The build quality is excellent also. No that I would
trade my Seaward in...

Serge

QCC are nice kayaks. In fact my friend who I am going to paddle with
has QCC400. It is a little too wide for my taste.
I checked out QCC 700 - it is also too big. Q600 could have been it?

My concern is hatches though. I do not need much at all. If I am going
to tour, I would use my Echo double. I certainly do not like
expedition - style
fiberglass hatches w/neoprene gaskets and webbing. One "day" hatch
with
rubber lid is all I need.

QCC come with high deck which is nice.

What I need is minimalist kayak (20"x18'or so) like for flat water
racing but usable in ocean, with one hatch, minimum webbing and deck
high enough.
All the extras that I am not going to use will just increase weight.

Thanks everybody. I always get good advice from you guys, especially
from Brian and John. I will keep looking.

Anybody wants to paddle in Monterey Bay let me know. We have wales
here,
not to mention other wild life.
If wale does not like you and you can't go 6 knots at least...Hmm...