andrei

Default how to shlep two kayaks?

Hi,

I have a small recreational sit-on-top kayak (Wilderness Systems
Tarpon 100). Its 10 feet long for about 50 lbs. I want to buy a
second one for my wife. We have a Ford Windstar van which can easily
carry one on the roof-rack, but two is just a little on the heavy
side.

In the shop they are suggesting a special kayak rack for abour 350$.
That's over our budget right now. Trailers seem to *start* at 550$.
Since I already will have to put about 500 bucks down for the kayak
(that's with taxes), that would make the cost of the 2nd kayak at
about 850$ to over a thousand....

Is there any cheaper solution to take two small kayaks on our van?

Thanks for any advice!

Andrei

PS: anybody SELLING an old kayak trailer by any chance?

PPS; inside the van is not an option either: we have three kids.
Michael Daly

On 3-Nov-2003, (andrei) wrote:

Is there any cheaper solution to take two small kayaks on our van?

Get a couple of 2x4s (or 2x6 if the roof is highly curved). Cut them
so that the shape matches the curve of your roof and cover the cut
surface with either minicell or carpet scraps so they don't scratch
your roof. Place them across your roof, one near the front and one
near the rear, so that they carry the kayak weight directly on the
roof. Use the existing rack to hold them in place (get U bolts to
attach the wood to the crossbars).

Drill holes in the wood and/or use eyebolts to give you something
to tie the kayaks to. If you get fancy, use scraps of wood to
fashion some cradles. If you use cedar, you will not have to worry
much about rot. Oil (linseed/tung ) rather than paint if you do
want protection.

With a width of 1.5 inch and length of, say 72 inch, two supports
give 216 sq in of surface on your roof. With two 50 lb kayaks,
that's less than one-half psi of contact pressure on average.

| front view | --2x4 or 2x6
| |
| __---___---___---___---___---___---___ |
|_/ \_|
^
Profile cut to match roof shape |

___ side view ___
| | | |
== | |-- Ubolt here | | == -- Ubolt here
== | | | | ==
__++_---_________________________---_++______
--------------------------------------------- -- roof

^ ^ wood ^ ^ rack crossbar
| |
Rack crossbar wood

Friends of mine have done this with no problems and low price.
Best solution for vans and SUVs with wimpy roof racks.

Mike
Brian Nystrom

andrei wrote:

Is there any cheaper solution to take two small kayaks on our van?

Go to the Thule and Yakima web sites and use their fit information to
determine the parts that you need. Next, check your local classified ads
and the classifieds on Paddling.net for a used rack with the feet and
crossbars you need for your vehicle (you'll probably have to but a new
clip kit). You should be able to find one for half or less of the price
of a new one.

--
Regards

Brian

Gary S.

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:38:49 GMT, Brian Nystrom
wrote:

Go to the Thule and Yakima web sites and use their fit information to
determine the parts that you need. Next, check your local classified ads
and the classifieds on Paddling.net for a used rack with the feet and
crossbars you need for your vehicle (you'll probably have to but a new
clip kit). You should be able to find one for half or less of the price
of a new one.

Good advice.

Also, ads for used ones are often posted at outdoors shops.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Sofjan

From: (andrei)

That's over our budget right now. Trailers seem to *start* at 550$.

PS: anybody SELLING an old kayak trailer by any chance?

Check this out
http://www.harborfreight.com
search for trailer
or

That is trailer with 8 inch wheel and it is only $ 139
But you have to assemble it. Also it is 40 X48 so you need to extend the tonque
alittle bit
and built a canoe rack on it.

The trailer is also availbale in 12 inch wheel version. for $219

I Have a 4X8 12 inch wheel trailer from the same company (Harbor Freight) .It
is the best 239 dollar i have ever spend.

If you can find a place to park the trailer or use the trailer for other
purposes, then the trailer would be the best choice . Other than that Used car
rack or DIY maybe the way to go.

My trailer has been used to haul Inflatable Raft, Canoes, Kayaks, Tremendous
help when i finished my basement, and Friends seems to always borrow it for
moving. :^)
Oh and also all the extra Camping stuff that can't fit in the car fit in the
trailer just fine .

Sofjan Mustopoh

Wade Norton

Better yet... go to google and search for "kayak trailer" (quotes included)

Wade

Sofjan

Better yet... go to google and search for "kayak trailer" (quotes included)

Wade

Hi Wade
You miss the part where the original poster lament about how kayak trailer
start at about $500. and it is cutting into his budget too deep.

a $139 Trailer plus some wood and Weld job to extend the tongue will definitely
be cheaper than $500 specialized Kyak or Canoe trailer.

Also Remember the original poster could have used the trailer for other
purposes.

Sofjan Mustopoh

Tchswoods

I'd check with Ford. 100 pounds is well within the limit of my Plymouth
voyager. (I think it is 150 pounds) I had an Isuzu trooper, which was labeled
for 200 pounds. You might have trouble with the width though.
I recently loaded a Perception Kiwi 3 (open tandem) and a Swifty (single) onto
the van and had to "tilt" the single because the rack was too narrow. Each was
then secured to the OEM rack with two ratcheting tie downs as well as bow and
stern ropes tied to the bumpers.
The boats didn't move but they did hum annoyingly at highway speed. (Picture
blowing across a soda bottle) I reduced the sound by re positioning the boats
but it was still there. Good trip anyway!!!

I have a small recreational sit-on-top kayak (Wilderness Systems
Tarpon 100). Its 10 feet long for about 50 lbs. I want to buy a
second one for my wife. We have a Ford Windstar van which can easily
carry one on the roof-rack, but two is just a little on the heavy
side.

John/Charleston

On 6 Nov 2003 04:59:00 -0800, (andrei) wrote:

(Tchswoods) wrote in message ...
[...]

Yep. I could theoretically could put to Tarpon 100 on the roof, but
the rack's slats cannot take it so I would need to find some way to
hold them there.

Thanks a lot to everybody for your advice!

Kind regards,

Andrei

I too find it hard to believe that the racks can't handle 100 lbs but
if so then the advice given here has been good. As for the kayaks
"humming", it's probably not the kayaks but the straps. one way to
stop the hum is to put a twist in the strap before tightening.

Good luck
John