John Fereira

"Joe Pylka" wrote in
ink.net:

How confident are you that you know for sure where
the boat that's going to hit you is coming from, so you can point your
light toward it?

Good question. A visible signal is only good if someone is looking in the
right direction. A few years ago about 10 of us were on a small lake for a
moonlight paddle. All but two had headlamps. We saw a boat approaching so
everyone looked in that direction and started shaking our heads so that the
boat operator could see us. When it got to about 200' away I realized that
they were not looking in our direction so I blew my very loud whistle. That
got their attention immediately and they veered off.

If you're going to paddle at night (or anytime when there is a lot of boat
traffic) carry a loud whistle.
Kenneth McClelland

If you're going to paddle at night (or anytime when there is a lot of boat
traffic) carry a loud whistle.

If it is large, fast traffic, I suggest one of those canned air horns under
the front straps. Use this first and keep the whistle connected to your vest
as a back-up. We may not be "Big" in the grand scheme of things but we can
at least sound big.

--

"John Fereira" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Brian Nystrom

There may be a difference between the rules for inland waterways which
are controlled by the state and Coast Guard controlled waters. It's that
way up here in NH. The state requires an omnidirectional light inland,
but it's not required on the coast.

Brian Nystrom

Kenneth McClelland wrote:

If you're going to paddle at night (or anytime when there is a lot of boat
traffic) carry a loud whistle.

If it is large, fast traffic, I suggest one of those canned air horns under
the front straps. Use this first and keep the whistle connected to your vest
as a back-up. We may not be "Big" in the grand scheme of things but we can
at least sound big.

Another alternative is one of the "Safety Blaster" horns, which are lung
powered. They're MUCH louder than any whistle, but take less breath to
operate. Since getting one of these, I don't bother with whistles
anymore. There are two models. The larger one (commonly found at marine
stores) is too big for kayaking, but the smaller one will fit in a PFD
pocket.

Joe Pylka

In Pennsylvania the Fish & Boating rules say it should be an
omnidirectional light.

Not according to the boating manual
There is no requirement listed that the light be omnidirectional. A
reasonable flashlight meets the requirements. That's not to deny that
in some circumstances it might be wise to exceed the minimum requirements.

OK -- change "should be" to "could be" in my statement.

I recall the NJ rules being similar to those of Pennsylvania referenced
above. Do you have any documentation of additional rules for RVR - I
certainly got no complaints when kayaking there after dark.

Only verbal discussions with state personnel stationed there. Also in a
presentation they did a coupla years ago at the Round Valley Roundup. They
did also suggest (see another message in this thread) that sound signalling
devices were also a very good idea because it gets the other boats'
attention and also because it's a wise thing to have on foggy nights.

Blankibr

Be careful of the safety blaster horns. When the membrane gets wet, they don't
work. You can flick the water off it, but that takes a few more seconds
(several flicks).

Brian Blankinship
Brian Nystrom

Blankibr wrote:
Be careful of the safety blaster horns. When the membrane gets wet, they don't
work. You can flick the water off it, but that takes a few more seconds
(several flicks).

I carry mine in a PFD pocket where it gets soaked all the time and it's
never failed to work. I do carry it with the open end down, so it
doesn't fill with water. Perhaps that's the actual issue?

Blankibr

Blankibr wrote:
Be careful of the safety blaster horns. When the membrane gets wet, they

don't
work. You can flick the water off it, but that takes a few more seconds

(several flicks).

I carry mine in a PFD pocket where it gets soaked all the time and it's
never failed to work. I do carry it with the open end down, so it
doesn't fill with water. Perhaps that's the actual issue?

Perhaps so. I carry mine on the deck. Mine also is missing the "exit end."
Someone ran over my kayak in his and broke that part off.

Brian B