Blankibr

Default Night Sea kayaking

"WebKatz" writes: Does the white light have to cover 360 degrees?

No. The light is to be shined to avoid a collision. I personally would flash
it across the "target" (hazardous vessel) and then back to my illuminating my
boat.

This could have the unintended effect of implying you want them to come closer.

Also keep in mind a large vessel like a ferry or barge is not going to be able
to change course or stop to avoid hitting you. As someone else posted, act as
though no one else sees you and avoid them.

Brian Blankinship
JB

Thanks for your answers....I think I'll go for the white flashlight...and
btw, in Switzerland, you apply the international rules, which means a
flashlight, at least...

For the emergency flare or lights, I carry 3 red flares (1 in the PFD and 2
on the boat) and a parachute flare. I will soon purchase a strobe but for
now I have a Photon 3 with SOS strobe...usefull only when weather conditions
are not too bad, of course
(http://www.photonlight.com/products/photon_3.html)

Another question, did everyone have a problem because of the lack of light
while navigating by night ?

Fiona

"JB" wrote in message ...
Hello all...

I'm writing from Switzerland and this is my first post on this
newsgroup...but I've been reading you all for a long time and got plenty of
tricks that helped me improve my poor skills...

Most of the time, I paddle on Lake Leman but I travel every year to Brittany
and put my kayak to rougher seas !!

I just wanted to hear from you about seakayaking at night...do you use any
light so other boats could see you ?

Thanks..

JB

in canada , canadian coast guard regs. state a light visible from 360
degrees. a flash light that can be pointed will pass.
we paddle at night all the time here. there is little power boat
traffic so collisions are not such an issue.
radar reflectors aree not much use unless they are 6 ' up. so a kayak
would not make a very good platform. the reflector would become a
hazard in a roll if you need to do one or wind would make the
reflector and mast a hazard.
i paddle alone occasionally at night. it is wonderfull.
i choose the weather very carefully and double check things i would
not even think about in the day.
i would recommend you never paddle alone but i like to hike and paddle
; often prefferring to be alone.
I always put a chemical light on my back deck. i use red because it
does not effect night vision as much as white. i have at least two
flashlights , one tied to my deck and one in my PFD. i use pelican
lights.
be carefull , you might want to check your local regulations. you have
higher traffic so they will likely be different than ours.
have a ball.
Fiona
doug m

JB wrote:

Another question, did everyone have a problem because of the lack of light
while navigating by night ?

Can be more difficult if there is no dominant landmark (light) to which
you can orient.

Also, have found in very dark conditions that equilibrium can be
affected and that I probably brace more than needed due to feeling that
I'm about to dump. Odd sensation.

doug m

Brian Nystrom

doug m wrote:

Also, have found in very dark conditions that equilibrium can be
affected and that I probably brace more than needed due to feeling that
I'm about to dump. Odd sensation.

This is a variation of the condition known as "kayak angst". It can occur
whenever you're in a situation where you lose the ability to distinguish the
horizon. That usually means flat water with fog, heavy overcast or darkness,
and no landmarks or objects in the water. Basically, without any reference
points, your inner ear goes haywire and you can't maintain balance.
Fortunately, all it takes is ripples in the water or another paddler within
sight to eliminate the problem.

--
Regards

Brian

Dave Van

in article , Brian Nystrom at
wrote on 10/4/03 6:09 AM:

doug m wrote:

Also, have found in very dark conditions that equilibrium can be
affected and that I probably brace more than needed due to feeling that
I'm about to dump. Odd sensation.

This is a variation of the condition known as "kayak angst". It can occur
whenever you're in a situation where you lose the ability to distinguish the
horizon. That usually means flat water with fog, heavy overcast or darkness,
and no landmarks or objects in the water. Basically, without any reference
points, your inner ear goes haywire and you can't maintain balance.
Fortunately, all it takes is ripples in the water or another paddler within
sight to eliminate the problem.

What your inner ear contributes to balance should not be affected by your
ability to see the horizon. A perfectly normally wired person should be
able to maintain balance even when blindfolded. But balance is affected by
input from vision and all physical sensation. You can be blindfolded and
maintain balance more easily if your feet are on the ground than if you are
floating in a boat.

I get the sensation of being way off balance in my kayak whenever I raise
the camera to my eye because the way I'm seeing the horizon is greatly
modified through the viewfinder. It is bizarre.

I have not experienced the same at night when the horizon is not visible.

It's definately not limited to kayaks, my daughter gets it whenever we drive
through rural areas at night and you cannot see the horizon from the rear
passenger window. Fortunately, she can deal with it now and no longer pukes
as a result.

No, its to be a directional light.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:21:12 -0500, "WebKatz"
wrote:

"Blankibr" wrote in message
I think Scott has it right. The 72 COLREGS (international rules to avoid
collisions) states that kayaks can either use the same light pattern as a

small
sailboat (red/green) or just a white light that can be shown to avoid a
collision.

Does the white light have to cover 360 degrees?

Joe Pylka

wrote
No, its to be a directional light.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:21:12 -0500, "WebKatz" wrote:
The 72 COLREGS (international rules to avoid
collisions) states that kayaks can either use the same light pattern as

small sailboat (red/green) or just a white light that can be shown to

avoid a
collision.

Does the white light have to cover 360 degrees?

In Pennsylvania the Fish & Boating rules say it should be an
omnidirectional light. --Also true in places in NJ such as Round Valley
Reservoir. How confident are you that you know for sure where the boat
that's going to hit you is coming from, so you can point your light toward
it?
JMP

Peter

Joe Pylka wrote:

wrote

No, its to be a directional light.

Does the white light have to cover 360 degrees?

In Pennsylvania the Fish & Boating rules say it should be an
omnidirectional light.

Not according to the boating manual at:
http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/
Chapter 4 gives the night lighting requirements and for small sailboats
(7m) and all human-powered the requirement is a "white light either
hand-held or installed ready to be displayed in time to avoid a
collision." Figures 7A and B apply and show a person holding a light.

There is no requirement listed that the light be omnidirectional. A
reasonable flashlight meets the requirements. That's not to deny that
in some circumstances it might be wise to exceed the minimum requirements.

--Also true in places in NJ such as Round Valley
Reservoir.

I recall the NJ rules being similar to those of Pennsylvania referenced
above. Do you have any documentation of additional rules for RVR - I
certainly got no complaints when kayaking there after dark.

How confident are you that you know for sure where the boat
that's going to hit you is coming from, so you can point your light toward
it?

Depends on the circumstances. I frequently put one of my bicycle LED
tail-lights set to show a steady red light behind me when kayaking alone
or if at the back of a group.