Kenneth McClelland

If you're going to paddle at night (or anytime when there is a lot of boat
traffic) carry a loud whistle.

If it is large, fast traffic, I suggest one of those canned air horns under
the front straps. Use this first and keep the whistle connected to your vest
as a back-up. We may not be "Big" in the grand scheme of things but we can
at least sound big.

--

"John Fereira" wrote in message
.. .
"Joe Pylka" wrote in
ink.net:

How confident are you that you know for sure where
the boat that's going to hit you is coming from, so you can point your
light toward it?

Good question. A visible signal is only good if someone is looking in the
right direction. A few years ago about 10 of us were on a small lake for

moonlight paddle. All but two had headlamps. We saw a boat approaching

so
everyone looked in that direction and started shaking our heads so that

the
boat operator could see us. When it got to about 200' away I realized

that
they were not looking in our direction so I blew my very loud whistle.

That
got their attention immediately and they veered off.