Odin

Default Whi****er in a recreational kayak????

Hey Kayaking people

I wanted to know your thoughts on whitewater in a perception
sparky. I am wondering if anyone has used it in ww and what problems
i would run across.

Also if i could do anything to make it better in ww.

" Not looking to buy another kayak, gonna take her there no matter
what, looking for some, fearless advice!!!!!

thanks,
David J. Van den Branden

From: (Odin)
Newsgroups: rec.boats.paddle.touring
Date: 3 Aug 2003 18:25:36 -0700
Subject: Whi****er in a recreational kayak????

Hey Kayaking people

I wanted to know your thoughts on whitewater in a perception
sparky. I am wondering if anyone has used it in ww and what problems
i would run across.

Also if i could do anything to make it better in ww.

" Not looking to buy another kayak, gonna take her there no matter
what, looking for some, fearless advice!!!!!

thanks,

Just notify your next of kin and have a ball. Oh, you might want to jot
down a little note specifying who you want to leave the Sparky to... If they
ever find it.

David J. Van den Branden

"Odin" wrote in message
m...

From: (Odin)
Newsgroups: rec.boats.paddle.touring
Date: 3 Aug 2003 18:25:36 -0700

Hey Kayaking people

I wanted to know your thoughts on whitewater in a perception
sparky. I am wondering if anyone has used it in ww and what problems
i would run across.

Also if i could do anything to make it better in ww.

" Not looking to buy another kayak, gonna take her there no matter
what, looking for some, fearless advice!!!!!

thanks,

Just notify your next of kin and have a ball. Oh, you might want to jot
down a little note specifying who you want to leave the Sparky to... If

they
ever find it.

I am looking for info from normal people, not people who sat in the
front row in school and held the teachers hand . I am sure there have
been people who have went in whitewater with a barrell, so save your
8 year old girl saftey for someone else.

And you save your 6 year old girl sensitivity and lack of sense of humor.

You said you wanted thoughts. You got thoughts.

Like I said. Have a ball.

Odin

From: (Odin)
Newsgroups: rec.boats.paddle.touring
Date: 3 Aug 2003 18:25:36 -0700

[...]

So why did you even bother to reply to the post????? And if you
call that humor you got a big problem! I stated what i was looking
for, you just chose to reply with a faggots response. I dont need
a fag like you to tell me to notify my next of kin!!!

You were that kid , who everyone made fun of, becuase he was scared to
do anything. So save your fears for yourself, people like me arent
interested in hearing from ( girly men like you) LOL , Your
response shows your lack of guts, stick to replying to people who want
to hear your views, i DONT!!!
Felsenmeer

I stated what i was looking
for, you just chose to reply with a faggots response. I dont need
a fag like you to tell me to notify my next of kin!!!

You were that kid , who everyone made fun of, becuase he was scared to
do anything. So save your fears for yourself, people like me arent
interested in hearing from ( girly men like you)

Sheesh. I'm sorry I gave you a serious response now. Hope you can swim
well. Practice your wet exit.

Ahhhh, natural selection online. I love it!

Brian Nystrom

From: (Odin)

Hey Kayaking people

Just notify your next of kin and have a ball.

I am looking for info from normal people,

Like I said. Have a ball.

So why did you even bother to reply to the post?????

You're right. I'm sorry. I should have been more constructive. To that
end; you asked if there was something you could do to improve the Sparky in
a white water environment. Check out the product offered at the following
web site. You may benefit from it.

http://www.sponsonguy.com/

Regards

DV

Judging by the eloquence of his last response, I suspect he and Timmy will get
along just peachy. They can rant with each other endlessly.

As for constructive suggestions, here's one: Sell the Sparky and get a real
boat! Sparkys and their ilk are meant for little more than floating around in
calm ponds. If you want to paddle whitewater, get a whitewater boat, the
necessary safety gear and some instruction. If you just want to be cheap, then
David's comment to notify your next of kin was right on the mark. If you need
corroboration for that statement, go to www.acanet.org and read their report
"Critical Judgement" on paddling deaths.

And while you're online, see if you can buy a sense of humor or Ebay...

--
Regards

Brian

Brian Nystrom

wrote:

He gave you good advice. I've looked at the pictures and description
of the "Sparky". IMHO It'd be a disaster for any but the best of
boaters to take this in whitewater.

You're right, but not for the reason's you state.

It's bow and stearn design show
very linear cut, for tracking straight. The description talks of
double tracking channels. This is a boat that wants to go straight.

No, it isn't, it's a "puddle boat" that spins on a dime in flat water. The "tracking channels" actually have nothing
to do with tracking; they're there to stiffen the flimsy hull. "Tracking channel" is Perception-speak for "We screwed
up the design and use crappy materials, so this is the Band-Aid we apply in a feeble attempt to compensate."

You will have to fight it to turn quickly or draw it from side to
side. Similarly its linear rail will be easily grabbed any eddy line
or wave to flip you quickly. It's short size might compensate some for
these factors, but it looks like a boat designed for flipping you in
whitewater.

None of this is really true, but a Sparky is not designed for whitewater use at all.

Take a look at a whitewater boat, you'll notice rounded rockered
bottoms and bow and stearn, smooth rounded rails (transition from deck
to hull). These provide mobility and minimize tipping in waves, and
eddies. (Most beginners tip over most at crossing the simple eddy line
into the stream. You don't need waves.)

Personally I'd sooner take an inner tube. Be safe have fun.

Good advice. At least an inner tube floats. A Sparky would be useless once it's swamped. Since you'll never find a
spray skirt for one that will stay on in rough water, swamping is inevitably.

--
Regards

Brian

Steve Landis

From: (Odin)

Hey Kayaking people

[...]

Just a word on the "cheap" comment. There are plenty of inexpensive
used WW boats available from a variety of sources - www.paddling.net for
one. Used WW boats in the $200 to $300(US)are not uncommon.

Steve

Glug420

one word, "entrapment"

My CDR list is @