David Woodell

Default Helmet restraints

Never thought I'd be asking this...

What is available for stock/mod hydro racers (kneelers) in the way of a
helmet restraint that won't severely limit mobility?

I got pitched out of a C mod hydro at about 75 mph 3 weeks ago and I am
still hurting. I think my helmet tried to pull my head off!

Is there anything that will help and still allow us to look
around/behind us?

David
L-6 C&E hydros

http://community.webtv.net/DavidL6/DavidL6spages

BK

David,

I've been looking at the new D-CEL helmet restraint. It does allow for some
movement of the helmet, but probably not like you're wanting.

They use a paratrooper style harness so the G-force effect is evenly
distributed, with the pelvis as the anchor.

I called the company about a month ago and they told me this system is
currently not rated for racing above 130 mph, so you dont see NASCAR guys
wearing it (yet). But you can call the manufacturers at 800-731-4404. Great
guys to talk to.

Safety Solutions Inc: http://www.hutchensdevice.com/

Simpson liked the design so well they have licensed the device from Safety
Solutions Inc. See some close up pics at:
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/c...ints/50000.asp
Jeff

Val since you have obviously done the homework, have you talked to the
different manuf. about what would work in boat racing. Particularly OPC and
the Stock guys?
Thanks

"BK" wrote in message
David,

I've been looking at the new D-CEL helmet restraint. It does allow for

some
movement of the helmet, but probably not like you're wanting.

They use a paratrooper style harness so the G-force effect is evenly
distributed, with the pelvis as the anchor.

I called the company about a month ago and they told me this system is
currently not rated for racing above 130 mph, so you dont see NASCAR guys
wearing it (yet). But you can call the manufacturers at 800-731-4404.

Great
guys to talk to.

Safety Solutions Inc: http://www.hutchensdevice.com/

Simpson liked the design so well they have licensed the device from Safety
Solutions Inc. See some close up pics at:
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/c...ints/50000.asp

BK

You've done the homework, have you talked to the
different manuf. about what would work in boat racing. Particularly OPC and
the Stock guys?
Thanks

Yes, I have talked to Safety Solutions about using them in OPC, but only in the
capsuled boats. They feel this system would be perfect with our type of racing.

The D-CEL system still allows some head movement, the connetions do not tie in
with the seat belts in any way, and has easy to access quick release tethers.

Comfort was also a top concern with designing that system. The system anchors
to your own body. I have not yet seen one of these devices in person, however.

Frode Sundsal of Norway saw my note on F1boat.com, and called this same company
too. They are now sending him a system to try out with his OPC tunnel, since
UIM F1 is in the process of making helmet restraints mandatory. I'm anxious to
hear how Frode feels about this device once he tries it out.

The D-CEL is now being used by rally cars and other types of sports where the
speeds stay below 130 mph, and the need for a rapid, unimpeded exit from the
vehicle is essential - as is the case with boat racing.

As far as open cockpit racing (Stock Outboard, Offshore, Inboard etc), I am
under the impression that these systems have never been tested in an
un-seatbelted driver scenario. But since this system doesn't rely on seatbelts
to anchor it down (uses a criss-crossing body harness instead), but does keep
the helmet from stretching too far away from the body, as well as addressing
the "recoil" which can be just as harmful as the initial impact, it certainly
wouldn't hurt to ask.

There actually are several other helmet restraint devices out there, that boat
racers have been using for quite some time. Used by both non-capsule and
capsuled drivers: Lifeline, Security, Deist and OB Murphy (IHBA) all make a
fairly simple helmet restraint device designed for boat racing and they are
quite inexpensive. (less than $100)

Lifeline and Security helmet restraints use a chest band to attach up to 4
helmet tethers to D-ring connections on the helmet. OB Murphy explained to me
that his restraints have one single wide band at the back of the helmet.

I wrote an article for "Drag Boat Review" magazine a couple of years ago and
listed the various helmet restraint manufacturers in that article. HANS was
about the only seriously tested and engineered device available at that time.

IHBA made helmet restraints mandatory in 1997 and (as of the article in 2000)
they have not had another neck injury related death since. (NJBA also now
requires helmet restraints)

But since 2000, there have been MANY more devices invented with some major
corporations behind them. These all involve controlled testing. Some of these
are already into their 2nd and 3rd generation, now that thousands of car racers
are starting to use them and companies are getting 'live test' results back.
Of course, the price will clearly reflect these engineering and testing costs
too.

Sorry to go on so long, but this is a topic that has been dear to my heart for
over a decade.

David Woodell

Thanks for the information. I am going to check into it. I'll probably
be trying something next year if I can find something that allows me to
look around me enough that I am comfortable with it.

Of course I could always blame everything on the helmet restraint and
cut 'em off at the first turn! ;-)

For the record, I'm *not* in favor of any more required equipment. In
fact, I really don't like being forced to wear Kevlar. I'm thinking
about a helmet restraint just so I don't hurt so long if (when?) I get
pitched out again. I HOPE I don't test any of my "safety" equipment ever
again! Ya never know though...