Default 21' Center Console Suggestions?

OK,

Sorry to interrupt the name calling and political discussions, but I
have an actual boating question.

What should I buy???

Hurricane Ike trashed my boat and now it's time to get a new one. Old
boat was:

1982 Mako 21' CC
1998 200hp Evinrude Ocean Pro

I really liked the old boat, even though it was a pretty heavy. Would
like something more fuel efficient if possible.

I will be using it mostly for fishing in West Galveston Bay so shallow
draft is important. Also, I have to go through West Bay to get to the
ICW. Most of the use will be around West Bay, with the occasional 20m
trip into Galveston, and sometimes into Clear Lake/Kemah ~40m. Took the
old one out to the 12m rigs a few times, but offshore capabilities
aren't a 100% requirement for the new boat.

What do you think folks, should I get another Mako 212 or is there
another option that would be better?

Also, should I try to pick one up at the end of the year, or will I get
a better deal if I wait until the boat show season hits here in Texas in
Jan/Feb.

Thanks in advance,

Sexton

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:53:30 -0500, Scott Sexton wrote:

I will be using it mostly for fishing in West Galveston Bay so shallow
draft is important. Also, I have to go through West Bay to get to the
ICW. Most of the use will be around West Bay, with the occasional 20m
trip into Galveston, and sometimes into Clear Lake/Kemah ~40m. Took the
old one out to the 12m rigs a few times, but offshore capabilities
aren't a 100% requirement for the new boat.

What do you think folks, should I get another Mako 212 or is there
another option that would be better?

Older boat? New? Used?

If your looking at new, I'd take a look at the larger bay boats -
Triton or Bay Ranger. Given your preferences for shallow water (I
assume you like fishing for specs and redfish), that would be a good
option. Triton uses Mercury engines, Ranger you have a choice between
Yamaha, Merc and Evinrude. The bigger bay boats have the reach to do
the occasional 12M rig trip on good days and can handle moderate seas
just fine.

Dollar-for-dollar, and based on my own investigations and testing for
local dealers, I'd probably opt for the Triton 220 LTS if I were in
the marker for a new bay boat (I have one now - 200C Sportfisherman
built by Ranger - the first bay boat built by any bass boat
manufacturer.) I am a big Ranger fan, but their recent styling
changes leave me cold - very disappointed.

Triton:

http://www.tritonboats.com/boat_detail_new.asp?bid=131

Ranger:

http://www.rangerboats.com/flash/gal...ries=sal****er

The neat thing about these style boats is that they are very versatile
- you can take them big lake bass fishing, river system fishing, they
trailer very nice and you can pretty much set them up as you want to
with T-Tops and such. They are roomy with good interior space and
storage. Mine is set up for sweet/salt water operation with trolling
motor, custom T-Top, I have a leaning post/seat up forward for bass
fishing with a sounder on the trolling motor, but the trolling motor
is useful for salt water fishing - I use it a lot on flats in
Narragansett Bay or in the Napatree Beach area over in Westerly, RI.

In any case, those are my two favorites if you are looking new.

I would not, under any circumstances, buy another Mako. To put it in
plain terms - they ain't what they used to be. The ones I've seen
might as well have been built by Bayliner in the bad days. Even the
new boats built after the transition to Johnny Morris and the Bass Pro
Shops Marine Group are crap. Unfortunate - Mako was a great boat back
in the day.

As to engines - meh, I'm tired of arguing with morons. I repowered my
Bay Ranger with a ETEC 200 Evinrude HO, 25" shaft on a jack plate.
Runs like a champ, extremely fuel efficient, quiet, starts first time,
easy to winterize, no muss or fuss. I wouldn't buy another boat
without an Evinrude outboard ETEC. There is something to be said for
Verado from Mercury which, as I have admitted in the past, would be a
good choice - I've tested a lot of them on bass and bay boats - they
are great engines and I would purchase a Verado if Evinrude wasn't an
option.

Wouldn't buy a Yamaha two or four stroke if you paid me to buy one.

Jack plate is something I would consider a MUST have along with a
larger shaft size that the design spec. I know that doesn't make
sense intuitively to put a 25" engine on a 20" transom, but trust me
on this - it works and if you get a full hydraulic jack plate, it
works even better. You can adjust your running according to sea state
and believe me - on a bay boat, having the ability to lower the shaft
further into the water makes the boat behave much better in high winds
and seas - been there, done that, proved the point.

Used boat? Proably the same advice, only I'd be picky about it.

Good luck. Sorry about losing your Mako.
DK DK is offline

Scott Sexton wrote:
[...]

Mako's are overpriced and not even made at the old plant anymore so the
build is suspect for the price you pay.

Got any Key West or Polar dealers near you? They would be my top two
choices in that size.

That 21' with a 200hp must have been fast as hell!

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:23:55 -0400, DK wrote:

Scott Sexton wrote:
[...]

I love my Key West 18' CC with the 150 Yamaha.
--
A Harry Krause truism:

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"
[A Narcissistic Hypocrite]

Scott Sexton wrote:
[...]

That is correct - the old plant has been shut down, the old molds
destroyed and the new boats are built somewhere in NC.

However, they are still junk - they ain't your daddy's Mako anymore.

Got any Key West or Polar dealers near you? They would be my top two
choices in that size.

I'd stay away from Polar for a few years - they've seriously gone
south in quality with their newer boats.

I know - I know I used to pimp Polar like money was no object, but
from what I've seen recently, their QC has gone straight to hell.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:42:04 GMT, JohnH wrote:

I love my Key West 18' CC with the 150 Yamaha.

I was going to ask you how you liked it now that you've taken out a
few times.

I like the Key West brand a lot. Fairly well built boat.

I've been looking for new boats for a while now - still thinking about
a new Contender again, but after looking around on the innertubes,
I've been intrigued by their new 29' CC.

http://www.keywestboatsinc.com/boats/show/id/9

Haven't actually seen one yet - just thinking.
Tim Tim is offline

On Oct 29, 7:27*am, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:42:04 GMT, JohnH wrote:
I love my Key West 18' CC with the 150 Yamaha.

I was going to ask you how you liked it now that you've taken out a
few times.

I like the Key West brand a lot. *Fairly well built boat.

I've been looking for new boats for a while now - still thinking about
a new Contender again, but after looking around on the innertubes,
I've been intrigued by their new 29' CC.

http://www.keywestboatsinc.com/boats/show/id/9

Haven't actually seen one yet - just thinking.

One name that hasn't pop'd up is Grady White. Tom do they have
something worth while in that length class?

wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:42:04 GMT, JohnH wrote:
I love my Key West 18' CC with the 150 Yamaha.

I was going to ask you how you liked it now that you've taken out a
few times.

I like the Key West brand a lot. *Fairly well built boat.

I've been looking for new boats for a while now - still thinking about
a new Contender again, but after looking around on the innertubes,
I've been intrigued by their new 29' CC.

http://www.keywestboatsinc.com/boats/show/id/9

Haven't actually seen one yet - just thinking.

One name that hasn't pop'd up is Grady White. Tom do they have
something worth while in that length class?

I'm not a big Grady fan. Never have been actually. Kind of like
Parker boats - seen one, seen 'em all.

However, yes they do.

http://www.gradywhite.com/222/
DK DK is offline

Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:

Mako's are overpriced and not even made at the old plant anymore so the
build is suspect for the price you pay.

That is correct - the old plant has been shut down, the old molds
destroyed and the new boats are built somewhere in NC.

However, they are still junk - they ain't your daddy's Mako anymore.

Got any Key West or Polar dealers near you? They would be my top two
choices in that size.

I'd stay away from Polar for a few years - they've seriously gone
south in quality with their newer boats.

I know - I know I used to pimp Polar like money was no object, but
from what I've seen recently, their QC has gone straight to hell.

Sorry to hear that. Five years ago I looked over their line and they
were 1st class boats.
DK DK is offline

Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:42:04 GMT, JohnH wrote:

I love my Key West 18' CC with the 150 Yamaha.

I was going to ask you how you liked it now that you've taken out a
few times.

I like the Key West brand a lot. Fairly well built boat.

I've been looking for new boats for a while now - still thinking about
a new Contender again, but after looking around on the innertubes,
I've been intrigued by their new 29' CC.

http://www.keywestboatsinc.com/boats/show/id/9

Haven't actually seen one yet - just thinking.

That's a beautiful boat. The dealer that sold me my new bass boat also
sells Key West. I had a chance to look them over and they seem to be as
solid as ever. Nice design and clean lines, too.

24ft. Center Console tgodiver General 0 July 20th 04 09:27 PM
FS: Center Console Top in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 March 14th 04 04:34 AM
FS: 23' Center Console in S.C. Chuck Dreier Marketplace 0 March 3rd 04 01:09 AM
Center Console Tailgunner Boat Building 8 November 21st 03 12:31 PM
16 foot center console Vvmfuno General 1 October 27th 03 02:21 PM