Default GOOD MORNING REC.BOATS!!!

"Boater" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
On Oct 24, 3:31 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
messagenews:nq63g4lhbdrhe2ogl28h0t0jcb3i30nccm@4ax .com...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGnZxcS7VKA
This one is pretty good if you like Navy ships like I do.
Pause it when it gets to the USS Iowa and note the shockwaves from
those
16 incher's!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbIPy...eature=related
Eisboch
I fish next to the Iowa at the Mothball Fleet in the Carquinez Straits.
Amazing how little freeboard the ship has. Family friend of my parents
was
the smallest guy on the Battleship he served on in WW2. Part of his job
was
cleaning the barrels. They would pull him through the guns with a wire
brush in hand.- Hide quoted text -

The Mothball Fleet is pretty damned impressive! From what I understand
they do a lot of sturgeon fishing around the ships.

Yes, one of the prime Sturgeon areas. One day I landed 5. All
undersize, but was fun. They ran 22-36". The fleet is not that
impressive anymore. Lots have gone to the Breakers, and they want to move
more of them, but the Enviros want the hulls cleaned locally before
moving them very far. Used to be the Glomar Explorer anchored there, and
the anchor buoys are still referred to as the Glomars.

The "enviros"?

Don't you live in this world, too?

The shipbreakers in India and on most of the Pacific Rim don't pay the
slightest attention to the environmental hazards contained in and on the
ships they bust up for scrap.

It doesn't bother you that that crap is just dumped into the air and
water?

The "enviros." Christ...you define loser.

Let me restate it for you. The enviro nazis. They want to move the boats
about 15 miles before doing any work on them. The enviro nazis want them to
do the job where they are anchored. A place where there are fast currents
and no facilities. How much more crap is going to come off the bottom in a
slow 15 miles tow at less than the currents they now see, than if they try
to clean the bottoms in a river anchorage. You define stupid loser.

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

"Don White" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
t...
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:31:52 -0700, Calif Bill wrote:

I fish next to the Iowa at the Mothball Fleet in the Carquinez
Straits.
Amazing how little freeboard the ship has. Family friend of my
parents
was the smallest guy on the Battleship he served on in WW2. Part of
his
job was cleaning the barrels. They would pull him through the guns
with
a wire brush in hand.

He may have been pulling your leg, don't you think? If he wasn't, 16
inch guns or not, that wasn't a job I'd want.

Nope, was just a stated fact. Russell was a small guy and was still
being carded in bars at 35 years old. How do you think they cleaned the
guns? I am 6'4" and am not much more than 16" across the shoulders.

What!! Girlieman!

That is actually fair broad shouldered. Short and fat like you may lead
you to a lack of critical thinking.

Yeah, sure..... for the 'light in the loafer' set.

"Don White" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

"Don White" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
[...]

You seem to be homophobic. Isn't that a jail offense in Canada?

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:42:28 -0700, Calif Bill wrote:

Nope, was just a stated fact. Russell was a small guy and was still
being carded in bars at 35 years old. How do you think they cleaned the
guns? I am 6'4" and am not much more than 16" across the shoulders.

I was thinking a big ass bore brush. Here's a picture of sailors
cleaning the Oklahoma's guns (only 14").

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/013723.jpg

It does look like a sailor could fit, if he was small enough, but you
have to wonder about the efficiency.

According to wikipedia, the did use a bore brush on the Iowa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armamen...leship#Turrets

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:37:34 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

Let me restate it for you. The enviro nazis. They want to move the boats
about 15 miles before doing any work on them. The enviro nazis want them to
do the job where they are anchored. A place where there are fast currents
and no facilities. How much more crap is going to come off the bottom in a
slow 15 miles tow at less than the currents they now see, than if they try
to clean the bottoms in a river anchorage.

I have to kind of agree - sometimes the environmental groups go to
extremes and impose some rather odd and frankly silly requirements for
doing the simplest things.

Two years ago when I was still active in the civilian side of our
local VFD, we discovered a 5,000 gallon diesel tank buried under the
old Civil Defense building next to the truck garage. We had to take
the building down to expand bays for new trucks and a ladder truck.

When we dug down to see what it's condition was like, we were
surprized to find that is was enclosed in a concrete bunker which was
in excellant condition - so much so, that when we pulled off the top
of the bunker to inspect the tank, the damn tank looked practically
brand new. And, here's the best part, it didn't have any diesel in it
- dry as a desert and in prestine condition. It never had any diesel
in it.

Ok, now what. Call Environmental Services and have the thing removed,
use the bunker as part of the new foundation for the building
expansion - hey, we're golden right?

NOPE. Gotta do ground water tests for a mile in each direction on the
compass rose - sink test wells, have the water checked for god knows
what - took a damn year and set our schedule back by a full year.
There were a bunch of other requirements that made no sense and when
we went to the state to get a waiver, they laughed at us. We
contacted the local politicians and DEP wouldn't budge.

Added $13,000 to the expansion project, set us back a year and all for
a solid concrete bunker and an empty tank that had never had any
diesel in it.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 05:40:45 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:42:28 -0700, Calif Bill wrote:

Nope, was just a stated fact. Russell was a small guy and was still
being carded in bars at 35 years old. How do you think they cleaned the
guns? I am 6'4" and am not much more than 16" across the shoulders.

I was thinking a big ass bore brush. Here's a picture of sailors
cleaning the Oklahoma's guns (only 14").

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/013723.jpg

It does look like a sailor could fit, if he was small enough, but you
have to wonder about the efficiency.

According to wikipedia, the did use a bore brush on the Iowa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armamen...leship#Turrets

I'm entering the fray a little late here, but when we found a tunnel
system once we couldn't find any tunnel rats. Finally, the Navy sent
a Gunner's mate from the New Jersey - little guy - he volunteered and
after everything was finished, he told us he used to inspect the bores
of the 16" guns of the New Jersey after every fifteen rounds - he was
used to tight spaces.

Again, dunno about cleaning, but I do know of at least one guy who
crawled inside those things on Iowa class battleships.

Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:
[...]

Gee, I hope he waited for the barrels to cool...

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 11:22:23 +0000, Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:

Again, dunno about cleaning, but I do know of at least one guy who
crawled inside those things on Iowa class battleships.

No thank you. I'm not overly claustrophobic, but that would put me over
the top. Fortunately, I don't think my fat head would fit.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:14:13 +0000, Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:

When I worked for Texaco and climbing around rigs in the Gulf, man -
that was really hard for me - seriously. :)

I worked derricks for awhile. I got to trust the monkey belt, but if I
had to freehand, walking those greasy I-beams, with the wind howling, and
the derrick rocking ... Some liked it. I wasn't one of them.

GOOD MORNING REC.BOATS... Schitt's Creek Paddle and Canoe General 27 July 13th 08 12:23 PM
Good Morning Thom Stewart ASA 1 February 14th 07 05:35 PM
Well...good morning.... Capt. Rob ASA 2 December 5th 05 03:47 PM
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE Thom Stewart ASA 15 April 25th 05 06:00 PM