Boater Boater is offline

Default GOOD MORNING REC.BOATS!!!

Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 05:40:45 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:42:28 -0700, Calif Bill wrote:

Nope, was just a stated fact. Russell was a small guy and was still
being carded in bars at 35 years old. How do you think they cleaned the
guns? I am 6'4" and am not much more than 16" across the shoulders.

I was thinking a big ass bore brush. Here's a picture of sailors
cleaning the Oklahoma's guns (only 14").

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/013723.jpg

It does look like a sailor could fit, if he was small enough, but you
have to wonder about the efficiency.

According to wikipedia, the did use a bore brush on the Iowa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armamen...leship#Turrets

I'm entering the fray a little late here, but when we found a tunnel
system once we couldn't find any tunnel rats. Finally, the Navy sent
a Gunner's mate from the New Jersey - little guy - he volunteered and
after everything was finished, he told us he used to inspect the bores
of the 16" guns of the New Jersey after every fifteen rounds - he was
used to tight spaces.

Again, dunno about cleaning, but I do know of at least one guy who
crawled inside those things on Iowa class battleships.

Gee, I hope he waited for the barrels to cool...