Default Fall is Here - Boating winding down?

John H. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 06:20:23 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Anybody care to comment on when their boating season ends or gets
curtailed?
The Florida guys are year-round except maybe for Ohara, who doesn't
seem to care for the summer heat. But maybe others shy away from
boating in that heat too.
I'm not sure about Georgia or the Carolinas.
All this may be useful to me in deciding where to move to, if that
ever happens.
Even though I won't move there, might be interesting to hear from the
West Coast guys too.
Ever notice how the West Coast is almost like a different country?
Time difference I think. They are the manliest of boaters, what with
those big seas, but you don't hear much from them.

--Vic

The fall striper season will go into November. Now, that's not to say that
I'm brave enough to get out on the bay then!

Have you been out in the Bay yet with your new little boat? Haven't seen
you at BP, Solomons, or Deale launch ramps.

In fact...do you even have 20 hours on that boat yet?

--
http://tinyurl.com/4q88t6

wrote:

Anybody care to comment on when their boating season ends or gets
curtailed?
The Florida guys are year-round except maybe for Ohara, who doesn't
seem to care for the summer heat. But maybe others shy away from
boating in that heat too.
I'm not sure about Georgia or the Carolinas.
All this may be useful to me in deciding where to move to, if that
ever happens.
Even though I won't move there, might be interesting to hear from the
West Coast guys too.
Ever notice how the West Coast is almost like a different country?
Time difference I think. They are the manliest of boaters, what with
those big seas, but you don't hear much from them.

--Vic

The fall striper season will go into November. Now, that's not to say that
I'm brave enough to get out on the bay then!

Sea conditions or temperatures?
I kind of enjoy boating on nippy days. Different sky, and that
coffee/hot chocolate sure hits the spot.
One trip I made to Ontario was in October, and most of time we were
fishing it was snowing. Light stuff. Made the campfire at shore
lunch especially enjoyable.
But the water was flat. Fish were slow, but I got a nice Northern
jigging with my ultra-light in about 30' of water.
We flew into a lake one day for some Lake Trout that trip, and got
skunked except for one I snagged with a Lazy Ike. It was windy,
and the water was rough. Miserable trip.
But if it's calm, I've got no problem fishing in the cold.
Make me feel manly. Until I start sniffling.
Then I just feel stupid.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

There's nothing scarier about Chesapeake Bay in November than in more
temperate months. Air and water temps are lower, obviously, but most of
us know how to dress in layers for the cold and keep from falling out of
the boat and into the water. Most of us.

Hell, some of the best fishing around here is in December down at the
mouth of the Bay near Virginia Beach, in actual and near ocean conditions.

I don't put my fishing boat "on the hard" until just before
Thanksgiving. I try to get out two or three times in November before
that happens.

--
http://tinyurl.com/4q88t6

wrote:

[...]

Not temperature, but sea conditions. My boat is an 18'er, and in November
there are many more windy days on the bay than in July. Plus, when it's
windy, the center console provides no relief. Hell, that's the time to
start eating some of the fish the local Giant has to offer.

Some folks will brag about fishing 'til Thanksgiving, but they're usually
known to be braggarts.
--
John H.

wrote:

[...]

Pussy.

--
http://tinyurl.com/4q88t6

DK DK is offline

wrote:

[...]

And they log 25 hours a *year*.

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 09:14:10 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

*WE* boat year round, but there are a lot of folks that don't.
Different, for sure, but we like the beach, as much if not more, in
the Winter.

As more and more ICW shops and restaurants stay open year-round, there
is more to do. At times, especially in a cold rain, we'll just take a
couple of good books and anchor in our favorite gunkhole. Two hot
generous portions of Frogmore Stew are available for warmth....

.... so, it is actually good to see cooler weather and the end to
hurricane season.

Sounds very relaxing, and quiet. Much less crowded I suspect.

--Vic

add another diode bank for alternator winding on my outboard [email protected] Electronics 5 June 29th 07 01:35 AM
Happy Fall! Joe ASA 9 September 25th 06 06:18 PM
Fall Sail Scott Vernon ASA 8 October 4th 04 10:37 AM
Rise and Fall of the GOP Hortense ASA 0 December 17th 03 02:55 AM
Boating season winding down? Don White General 0 September 1st 03 03:56 AM