Default Recommendation for oil change pump

I'm not sure if you guys still talk about boats or not.
I have of 04 Bayliner 185 with a 190hp engine. It's about time to
think about putting her away for my first season and I'm wonder what
the best options are for pulling the oil out. A friend of mine had the
dealer install a quickdrain on the bottom of the engine with a hose
that drains the oil out the back. I was afraid to ask what the dealer
charges for this since they charge $400 just for the oil/gear lube
change.
If my best bet is the pump, what type should I get? I've seen some
that work of a drill, some that are hand pumped etc. Can anyone
recommend one to me? Also, is there somewhere cheaper than the dealer
to get it from?

-robert

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I'm not sure if you guys still talk about boats or not.
I have of 04 Bayliner 185 with a 190hp engine. It's about time to
think about putting her away for my first season and I'm wonder what
the best options are for pulling the oil out. A friend of mine had the
dealer install a quickdrain on the bottom of the engine with a hose
that drains the oil out the back. I was afraid to ask what the dealer
charges for this since they charge $400 just for the oil/gear lube
change.
If my best bet is the pump, what type should I get? I've seen some
that work of a drill, some that are hand pumped etc. Can anyone
recommend one to me? Also, is there somewhere cheaper than the dealer
to get it from?

-robert

The sureflo system is a pretty good one. There might be better ones but
I'm not familiar with them.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...s _oil_change

On Sep 21, 9:39*am, jim wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

The sureflo system is a pretty good one. There might be better ones but
I'm not familiar with them.http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...rowse&aID=24A&...

I noticed that Walmart has a hand pump that they said is for the
purpose for $7. What would be the advantage to the more expensive
systems. Its seems like all I need is a pump to pull the oil out into
my used tank.

-robert

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:48:18 -0700 (PDT), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

On Sep 21, 9:39*am, jim wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

The sureflo system is a pretty good one. There might be better ones but
I'm not familiar with them.http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...rowse&aID=24A&...

I noticed that Walmart has a hand pump that they said is for the
purpose for $7. What would be the advantage to the more expensive
systems. Its seems like all I need is a pump to pull the oil out into
my used tank.

-robert

I used a hand pump for a while with one of my old sail boats.
Fortunately it was a small engine with a small sump because it was a
slow, hot, messy process. Something like the Shureflo or Jabsco makes
fairly easy work of it and will easily pay for itself compared to
professional service prices.

On Sep 22, 6:37*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
used a hand pump for a while with one of my old sail boats.
Fortunately it was a small engine with a small sump because it was a
slow, hot, messy process. *Something like the Shureflo or Jabsco makes
fairly easy work of it and will easily pay for itself compared to
professional service prices.

What do you think about the tubes that connect to the drain pan? It
looks like you just run the tube through the bilge drain and turn the
valve. It otherwise just lies curled up below the engine.

-robert

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 22:55:15 -0700 (PDT), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

On Sep 22, 6:37*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
used a hand pump for a while with one of my old sail boats.
Fortunately it was a small engine with a small sump because it was a
slow, hot, messy process. *Something like the Shureflo or Jabsco makes
fairly easy work of it and will easily pay for itself compared to
professional service prices.

What do you think about the tubes that connect to the drain pan? It
looks like you just run the tube through the bilge drain and turn the
valve. It otherwise just lies curled up below the engine.

The tubing is there to suck the oil out through the dip stick
aperature.

On Sep 24, 5:46*am, Wayne.B wrote:

The tubing is there to suck the oil out through the dip stick
aperature.

No, a friend of mine had the drain plug on his engine replaced with a
tube. The tube is pulled through the bilge drain and there is a valve
on the end. When you open the valve the oil all runs out. I was just
curious about the pros/cons of this vs. sucking it out the drip stick.

-Robert

On Sep 24, 5:46*am, Wayne.B wrote:

The tubing is there to suck the oil out through the dip stick
aperature.

Here is a picture...
http://tinyurl.com/3wdmnc

-Robert

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 08:04:50 -0700 (PDT), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

On Sep 24, 5:46*am, Wayne.B wrote:

The tubing is there to suck the oil out through the dip stick
aperature.

Here is a picture...
http://tinyurl.com/3wdmnc

-Robert

Interesting, looks like it should work but I have no experience. My
only concern is that it adds a source of potential engine failure if
something goes wrong with the tubing or engine fitting.

wrote:

On Sep 24, 5:46 am, Wayne.B wrote:

The tubing is there to suck the oil out through the dip stick
aperature.

Here is a picture...
http://tinyurl.com/3wdmnc

-Robert

Interesting, looks like it should work but I have no experience. My
only concern is that it adds a source of potential engine failure if
something goes wrong with the tubing or engine fitting.

Also requires that you snake the hose through the drain plug opening.
Might be tough on some boats.

emergency water pump - recommendation Courtney Thomas Cruising 21 September 14th 06 09:25 AM
Oil Change Pump Chris Boat Building 15 October 13th 05 11:14 PM
Oil Change Pump Chris Cruising 15 October 13th 05 11:14 PM
Pump recommendation Steve Lusardi Boat Building 3 April 17th 04 02:43 PM
Can I change my Merc outboard to a jet pump? mosey General 14 October 30th 03 01:53 AM